Bicycling and Walking in Virginia
State Bicycle Map
Whether you are a seasoned rider or a new fan of cycling, let Bicycling in Virginia be your gateway to a world of new experiences.
There is something for everyone:
- The Commonwealth’s 855 miles of United States Bicycles Routes 76, 1 and 176
- The Virginia Capital Trail, connecting the Colonial Capital of Williamsburg with Virginia's modern capital, Richmond
- Numerous locations for off-road mountain bike rides
- A range of facilities suitable for beginners and families with young children.
The urban trails network of Northern Virginia is here, as well as the wild and challenging Heart of Appalachia Bike Route – 128 miles of paved and unpaved roads through remote, mountainous Southwest Virginia. Bicycling in Virginia focuses on routes and information of most interest to cyclists, including setting, terrain, elevation and surface conditions.
Inset enlargements of selected locations give details for parking and other facilities. The colored areas of the map show Virginia’s state and national parks and tourism regions, making it easy to find more information about food, lodging and other attractions. We hope you will use this map to enjoy our beautiful commonwealth, to visit natural and cultural attractions, to ride for transportation, health, and fun and to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution.
There’s a lot to do on two wheels! Enjoy the ride, and welcome to Bicycling in Virginia.
Requires Adobe Reader. Get the latest version here
In addition to Bicycling in Virginia, VDOT publishes and distributes a number of other print and online maps that can help you plan cycling trips in Virginia.
- The official State Transportation Map and Scenic Roads Map are both free to the public and provide locations of cycling facilities, attractions and points of interest across the state.
- VDOT's county maps show all secondary routes to help you travel and explore away from main highways.
- VirginiaRoads is a one-stop launch pad that provides map applications with data on traffic volume, speed limits, crashes, park and ride lots, pavement conditions, and projects in the Six Year Improvement Program.
- An interactive U.S. Bicycle Routes in Virginia mapping application is available on ArcGIS Online.
- For the best hardcopy maps of U.S. Bicycle Routes for Virginia, please contact Adventure Cycling Association.
- For maps of individual trails and parks, consult our directory for trail and route contacts.