Information Technology Division
Information Technology (IT) enables VDOT to meet its critical business needs by improving Agency responsiveness, effectiveness, and efficiency through innovative research, defined architectures, planning, and optimal use of technology. In order to support this mission, the Information Technology Division (ITD) employs state-of-the-art technologies to develop and support IT applications and special projects, using innovative development methodologies, industry-standard best practices, and agency-wide project management tools and measures. Management oversight ensures compliance with all accountability mandates. The functional areas which support and manage the Division's responsibilities include the following functional areas: Program Administration, IT Governance and Project Management, Application Development and Maintenance, Systems Engineering and Production Management, and GIS and Data Warehouse Services .
- VDOT's ITD supports Commonwealth Initiatives by providing resources, time, and knowledge in an effort to contribute to their effectiveness and success. These efforts include VITA's PPEA Enterprise Business Architecture Survey, the Learning Center and service on multiple VITA steering committees and focus groups.
- Time is dedicated to sharing knowledge with other state Agencies (e.g. VITA, DMV), DOTs, and transportation organizations (AASHTO). The Division also participates in VDOT technology initiatives such as the Knowledge Management Center.
- The Division's management supports flexibility and responsiveness to business needs and management's requirements. Many resources and work efforts have been devoted to new work identified in this manner. Samples of these initiatives include the development of the Dashboard v2.0 (a performance reporting tool), the creation of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for VITA and VDOT, and the technical support for configuration of new servers at the Department of Human Resources (DHR).
- VDOT ITD provides leadership at the national level by participating in the AASHTOware product development. Staff is providing strategic vision, energy, and subject matter expertise to lead a national consortium of transportation agencies to design and implement the next generation of software tools for construction management.
- Information Technology Division
- Strategic Contributions
- Program Administration
- IT Governance and Project Management
- Application Development and Maintenance
- Systems Engineering and Production Management
- GIS and Data Warehouse Services