Land Use Permits

24 VAC 30-151VDOT's Land Use Permit Form Number LUP-A

To work or perform other activities on a VDOT highway, park-and-ride lot, and rest area, you must have written permission from VDOT.  Written permission is granted by a land use permit or a contract let by VDOT.

Apply for a Permit

Most land use permits may be obtained at local VDOT offices.  Certain permits, such as district-wide permits that cover regional activities rather than a specific location, are issued through the VDOT Central Office Land Use Permit section in Richmond. 

VDOT staff has prepared documents to assist in the permit application process:

About Land Use Permit Regulations

Land Use Permit Regulations establish the rules that individuals, localities, and other entities must meet in order to conduct activities -- other than travel -- on the commonwealth's highway systems that are in the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) jurisdiction. 

The current Land Use Permit Regulations were approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) on October 15, 2009 and became effective on March 17, 2010.  The new regulations replace the 1983 Land Use Permit Manual.

Information and Forms

The applicable land use permit form is dependent upon the type of work to be completed within the VDOT right-of-way.  Because this work can vary a great deal, there are a number of land use permit forms and guidance information to assist the user in better understanding the Land Use Permit Regulations.  You can access the land use permit forms and this additional information by using the links listed below. 

Forms Get the MS-Word Viewer

LUP-A Land Use Permit Application
LUP-AUA Agricultural Use Agreement
LUP-BMA Land Use Permit Application - Building Movement
LUP-BMI Building Movement - Investigator’s Report
LUP-BMQ Building Mover Prequalification Questionnaire
LUP-BMR Building Movement - Route Certification
LUP-BMV Building Movement - VDOT Recommendation
LUP-CS Cash Surety Affidavit
LUP-CSB Corporate Surety Bond
LUP-CUA Commercial Use Agreement
LUP-IPP Land Use Permit Application – In Place Subdivision Street (Utility)
LUP-LC Bank Irrevocable Letter of Credit
LUP-PA Permit Agreement for Occupation of Right-of-way
LUP-PRP Land Use Permit Application - Prior Rights (Utility)
LUP-SB Surety Bond
LUP-SEA Special Event Approval
LUP-SEI Special Event Information
Resolution City, County, Town Resolution

Guidance Information

LUP-BM Building Movement Guidelines  
LUP-BR Bicycle Race Guidelines  
LUP-GC Golf Cart Guidelines  
LUP-LT Lighting Guidelines  
LUP-MB Mailbox Placement Guidelines  
LUP-RM Roadside Memorial Guidelines  
LUP-SE Special Event Guidelines  
LUP-VM Volunteer Mowing Guidelines  

Special Provisions

LUP-CRI Regional Cultural Resource Investigation  
LUP-DWSV District-wide Surveying Operations  
LUP-DWTLE Districtwide Temporary Logging Entrances  
LUP-DWUSC District-wide Utility Service Connections  
LUP-ESCCC Erosion & Sediment Control Contractor Certification  
LUP-IR Irrigation   
LUP-LS Landscape   
LUP-OAVC Outdoor Advertising Structure Vegetation Control   
LUP-PRC Photo-Red Camera Installation  
LUP-RGUTT Regional Utility Tree Trimming  
LUP-SPG Special Provisions - General  
LUP-WZTCC Work Zone Traffic Control Certification  

Guidance Manual Appendices

1 Frequently asked questions  
2 Processing permit requests on limited access right-of-way  
3 Checklist for processing limited access permit requests  
4 Processing requests for changes in limited access control  
5 Processing permit requests for ITS resource sharing agreements  
6 Procedures for handling delinquent permits  
7 Permits for the installation of private entrances  
8 Erosion & sediment control contractor certification requirements  
9 Open-cut pavement restoration detail  
10 Work zone traffic control certification verification requirements  
11 Processing permit requests for photo-red camera installations  
12 Processing permit requests for comprehensive roadside management projects  
13 Processing permit requests for roadside management special projects  
14 Illicit discharge notification  
15 Quit Claim Deed - Power Distribution  
16 Quit Claim Deed - PowerTransmission  
17 Subordination of Rights Agreement - Street Acceptance  
18 Subordination of Rights Agreement - Dominion Virginia Power  
19 Transit Shelter Installation Guidelines  
20 ITS resource sharing project checklist  
21 Guidance on the Installation of Watch for Children signs  

Additional Information

If you would like additional information regarding the Land Use Permit Regulations and related processes and forms, please contact your VDOT district office for the related county in which the work is to be performed or VDOT’s Central Office in Richmond.

Development of the Land Use Permit Regulations

The Land Use Permit Regulations sets forth the requirements applicable to all activities permitted within the VDOT right-of-way as allowed by the CTB.  These include such activities as installation of utilities, construction of private and commercial entrances, landscaping, and temporary use of the right-of-way. The regulations set forth criteria used by VDOT when determining whether to issue a permit.  The regulations are intended to preserve the integrity of the highway system and protect the safety of motorists, pedestrians, and highway workers.   The Land Use Permit Regulations were prepared in accordance with Virginia’s Administrative Process Act.
To assure a broad outreach of public input, VDOT encouraged the public to provide comments on the proposed regulations and standards for a 60 day period.  Input was submitted via the internet, the U.S. mail, and in person at three public hearings conducted throughout the state.  The proposed regulations and standards were also published in the Virginia Register and posted on VDOT’s website.

  • More than 53 written and public hearing comments were received from individuals, developers, companies, consultants, and business organizations.  VDOT utilized the comments received along with input from stakeholders to develop the final version of the Land Use Permit Regulations.
  • Public hearing comments and responses (PDF, 316 MB)

The 1983 Land Use Permit Manual is available here for historical purposes.

Page last modified: Jan. 3, 2014