Alternate Project Delivery Office
The Alternate Project Delivery Office is responsible for developing the Department’s list of candidate Design-Build projects, developing and advertising Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP), short-listing the Offerors and awarding the Design-Build contract.
- Design-Build Evaluation Guidelines (revised May 2014)
- Design-Build Procurement Manual (revised October 2011) (99 KB)
- Instructional and Informational Memoranda (IIM) APD
- Minimum Requirements for Quality Assurance and Quality Control on Design Build and P3 Projects, January 2012
Notice: Any person, partnership, corporation, or other entity offering or practicing architecture, engineering, or land surveying shall be registered or licensed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 4, Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia. It is an Offeror’s responsibility to comply with the requirements related to organizational structure, any required registration with governmental agencies and/or entities, and any required governmental licensure, whether business, individual, or professional in nature, and failure to comply with those requirements may render a submittal non-responsive.
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/dpormainwelcome.cfm
- Memo from VDOT Concerning SCC and DPOR
- State Corporation Commission: http://www.scc.virginia.gov
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Mr. Shailendra G. Patel, PE, DBIA, at Shailendra.Patel@VDOT.Virginia.gov
Section § 33.2-12 (2)(b) of the Code of Virginia authorizes the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Commonwealth Transportation Board to develop and award contracts using the Design-Build contracting method.
Section §33.2-223.2:16 of the Code authorizes local governments to utilize the Design-Build contracting method.
If state or federal funds are used, the local government must comply with Section §33.2-12 (2)(b) of the Code.
VDOT's Alternate Project Delivery Office has developed guidelines to assist local governments.
- Frequently asked questions (33 KB)
- Guidance for Locally Administered Design-Build Projects (333 KB)
- More on locally administered projects
Design-Build active procurements:
- Design-Build Proposal Submittals and Rankings
- Design-Build Requests for Proposals
- Design-Build Requests for Qualifications
The Alternate Project Delivery Office has issued standard template documents for all forthcoming Request for Proposals. The template documents are provided below along with Exhibit 1 referenced therein:
VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1 (24 KB)
- 2013 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5) (1 MB)
- 2010 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1 (19 KB)
- 2010 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5) (1 MB)
- Red-line comparison: 2010 vs. 2013 VDOT Design Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4, and 5) (1 MB)
- I-64 Capacity Improvements - Segment II, Hampton Roads District
- GRTC Bus Rapid Transit, Richmond District - VDOT Administered Project fro GRTC
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Rte. 808 (Halls Bottom Rd) and Sinking Creek, Bristol District
- Route 630 (Courthouse Road) and Interstate 95 Interchange Reconstruction, Fredericksburg District
- Route 606 Bridge Replacement over I-95 with 606 Improvements, Fredericksburg District
- I-95 Express Lane Southern Terminus Extension, Northern Virginia District
- Route 220 Corridor Safety Improvements, Salem District, UPCs 105543 and 105544 (RFQ release Summer 2016)
It is anticipated the projects listed below will be advertised using the Design-Build project delivery method. The list is subject to change at any time without notice.
- I-64 Peninsula Widening Segment III, Hampton Roads District, UPC 106689 (RFQ release Fall 2017)
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Reed Creek and Rte. 697 (Formato Lane), Bristol District, UPC 104936
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Rte. 686 (Mulberry Lane), Bristol District, UPC 107117
- I-64 Widening from I-295 to Exit 205, Richmond District, UPC 107458
- I-95 Improvements at Exit 130, Fredericksburg District
- I-95 over Route 608 (Reymet Rd.) Bridge Rehabilitation, Richmond District
- No active D-B Projects under construction.
Hampton Roads District
Northern Virginia District
- Route 659 (Belmont Ridge Road) - Reconstruct to 4-Lanes
- Route 7 Widening over Dulles Toll Road
- Braddock Road and Pleasant Valley Road Intersection Improvement
- Route 606 Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road Reconstruction and Widening
- I-66/Route 15 Interchange Reconstruction
- Gloucester Parkway Extension
- Interstate 66 Active Traffic Management
- Interstate 66 Gainesville to Haymarket Widening
- I-395 HOV Ramp at Seminary Road with I-395 NB Auxiliary Lane Extension
- Rolling Road Loop Ramp
- I-95 at Temple Avenue Interchange Improvements
- Interstate 64 Widening and Route 623 Interchange Improvements
- Route 5 Virginia Capital Trail (Varina Phase)
- I-77 Active Traffic and Safety Management System
- Interstate 581/Valley View Interchange Phase II
- I-581/Elm Avenue Interchange