The Alternative Project Delivery (APD) Division is responsible for developing the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) list of candidate Design-Build projects, developing and advertising Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP), short-listing the offerors and awarding the Design-Build contract.
- Design-Build Evaluation Guidelines (revised May 2014)
- Design-Build Procurement Manual (revised April 2017)
- Instructional and Informational Memoranda (IIM) APD
- Minimum requirements for quality assurance and quality control on Design Build and P3 projects, January 2012
- Alternate Technical Concept (ATC) Process - Pre-final
Notice: Any person, partnership, corporation, or other entity offering or practicing architecture, engineering or land surveying shall be registered or licensed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 4, Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia.
It is an offeror's responsibility to comply with the requirements related to organizational structure, any required registration with governmental agencies and/or entities, and any required governmental licensure, whether business, individual, or professional in nature, and failure to comply with those requirements may render a submittal non-responsive.
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/dpormainwelcome.cfm
- Memo from VDOT concerning SCC and DPOR
- State Corporation Commission: http://www.scc.virginia.gov
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Jeffrey Roby, PE, DBIA, at Jeffrey.Roby@VDOT.Virginia.gov
Section § 33.2-209(B) of the Code of Virginia authorizes VDOT and the Commonwealth Transportation Board to develop and award contracts using the Design-Build contracting method.
Section §33.2-269 of the Code authorizes local governments to utilize the Design-Build contracting method.
VDOT's Alternative Project Delivery Division has developed guidelines to assist local governments.
- Frequently asked questions
- Guidance for Locally Administered Design-Build Projects
- More on locally administered projects
The Alternative Project Delivery Division has issued standard template documents for all forthcoming Request for Proposals. Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5) are provided below along with Exhibit 1 referenced therein:
- 2016 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1
- 2016 VDOT Design-Build standard template documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- 2013 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1, revised May 2014
- 2013 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- Red-line comparison: 2013 vs 2016 VDOT D-B Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4, and 5)
Active Design-Build Procurements
- Design-Build Requests for Qualifications (RFQs)
- Design-Build Requests for Proposals (Single-phase RFPs)
- Design-Build Proposal Submittals and Rankings
Links to Project Websites
- Route 7 Corridor Improvements, Northern Virginia District
- Route 7 / Battlefield Parkway Interchange, Northern Virginia District
- Interstate 81 Bridge Replacement at Exit 114, Salem District
Candidate Design-Build Projects
- I-81 Bridge Replacement over Rte. 11 and Middle Fork Holston River, Mile Marker 52.9, Bristol District (RFQ release Spring 2018)
- Interstate 95 Rappahannock River Crossing Northbound, Fredericksburg District (RFQ release Early 2019)
- Albemarle County Intersection Improvements Bundling, Culpeper District (RFQ release Summer 2018)
Anticipated locations may include:
It is anticipated the projects below will be advertised using the Design-Build project delivery method. The list is subject to change at any time without notice.
- None at this time
Design-Build Projects Under Contract (Construction)
Hampton Roads District
Northern Virginia District
- No current Design-Build projects under construction