The Alternative Project Delivery (APD) Division is responsible for developing the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) list of candidate Design-Build projects, developing and advertising Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP), short-listing the offerors and awarding the Design-Build contract.
- Design-Build evaluation guidelines (revised May 2014)
- Design-Build Procurement Manual (revised April 2017)
- Instructional and Informational Memoranda (IIM) APD
- Minimum requirements for quality assurance and quality control on Design Build and P3 projects, January 2012
- Alternate Technical Concept (ATC) Process - Pre-final
Notice: Any person, partnership, corporation, or other entity offering or practicing architecture, engineering or land surveying shall be registered or licensed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 4, Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia.
It is an offeror's responsibility to comply with the requirements related to organizational structure, any required registration with governmental agencies and/or entities, and any required governmental licensure, whether business, individual, or professional in nature, and failure to comply with those requirements may render a submittal non-responsive.
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/dpormainwelcome.cfm
- Memo from VDOT concerning SCC and DPOR
- State Corporation Commission: http://www.scc.virginia.gov
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Jeffrey Roby, PE, DBIA, at Jeffrey.Roby@VDOT.Virginia.gov
Section § 33.2-209(B) of the Code of Virginia authorizes VDOT and the Commonwealth Transportation Board to develop and award contracts using the Design-Build contracting method.
Section §33.2-269 of the Code authorizes local governments to utilize the Design-Build contracting method.
VDOT's Alternative Project Delivery Division has developed guidelines to assist local governments.
- Frequently asked questions
- Guidance for Locally Administered Design-Build Projects
- More on locally administered projects
The Alternative Project Delivery Division has issued standard template documents for all forthcoming Request for Proposals. Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5) are provided below along with Exhibit 1 referenced therein:
- 2016 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1
- 2016 VDOT Design-Build standard template documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- 2013 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1, revised May 2014
- 2013 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- Red-line comparison: 2013 vs 2016 VDOT D-B Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4, and 5)
Active Design-Build Procurements
- Design-Build Requests for Qualifications (RFQs)
- Design-Build Requests for Proposals (Single-phase RFPs)
- Design-Build Proposal Submittals and Rankings
Links to Project Websites
- Route 7 Corridor Improvements, Northern Virginia District
- Interstate 64 Widening and High Rise Bridge, Phase 1, Hampton Roads District
- Transform 66 Inside the Beltway EB Widening, Northern Virginia District
- Interstate 95 Rappahannock River Crossing Southbound, Fredericksburg District
- I-64 Widening from I-295 to Exit 205, Richmond District
- I-64 Peninsula Widening Segment III, Hampton Roads District
- Warrenton Southern Interchange Routes 15 / 17 / 29, Culpeper District
- Park and Ride Lot at Interstate 66 / Route 15 Interchange, Northern Virginia District
- Interstate 81 Bridge Replacement at Exit 114, Salem District
Candidate Design-Build Projects
- Route 7 / Battlefield Parkway Interchange, Northern Virginia District, UPC 106573 (RFQ release Fall 2017)
It is anticipated the projects below will be advertised using the Design-Build project delivery method. The list is subject to change at any time without notice.
- None at this time
Hampton Roads District
- Military Highway continuous flow intersection
- I-64 Capacity Improvements - Segment I
- I-64 Capacity Improvements - Segment II
Northern Virginia District
- Interstate 395 Express Lanes
- I-95 Express Lane Southern Terminus Extension
- Route 659 (Belmont Ridge Road) - Reconstruct to four lanes
- Route 7 Widening over Dulles Toll Road
- Route 606 Loudoun County Parkway / Old Ox Road reconstruction and widening
- No current Design-Build projects under construction
- Route 606 bridge replacement over I-95 with 606 improvements
- Route 630 (Courthouse Road) and I-95 interchange reconstruction
- Fall Hill Avenue and Mary Washington Boulevard extension