The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) procures professional services contracts for transportation projects through competitive negotiation, a selection method defined in the VPPA §2.2-4300 and in accordance with 2009 Manual for the Procurement and Management of Professional Services. These services are primarily procured by the following divisions:
- Schedule and Contract
- Location and Design
- Structure and Bridge
- Right of Way and Utilities
- Transportation Mobility Management
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Mr. Jeffrey L. Rodgers at Jeff.Rodgers@VDOT.Virginia.gov.
August 27, 2014 - Increase of the Rate Escalation for Professional Services Contracts and Salary Caps for Construction Engineering Inspection Contracts
Effective August 15, 2014, VDOT is establishing the rate of escalation for professional service contracts based upon the Employment Cost Index, Table 9, Professional, Scientific and Technical Services. The memorandum below outlines the specific implementation of the escalation allowance. Also included in the memorandum is the most recent salary cap information for Construction Engineering Inspection contracts.
March 31, 2014 – Pilot Consultant Procurement Office
VDOT has initiated a review of Professional Service procurement with the intent to streamline the process. The goal is to reduce the time required for procurement by at least fifty percent. One result of the streamlining effort is the establishment of the Consultant Procurement Office (CPO).
July 31, 2013 - Revised Professional Services Consultant Invoice Process
Effective this date, VDOT issued an internal memorandum regarding a revised professional services consultant invoice for statewide implementation. The revised invoice template and process shall be used for all current and future contracts. The respective Central Office lead procurement divisions are available to provide further details and answer questions. The below links provide copies of the memorandum, invoice instructions, and invoice template.
April 1, 2013 - Present Workload (Backlog) for Professional Services
Effecitve this date, VDOT has issued a memorandum that implements changes to the Present Workload computation for DBE/SWAM firms in the consultant evaluation and selection process. This memorandum is available at the link below.
July 1, 2012 - 2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services September 2009 Revision  July 1, 2012
Effective July 1, 2012, the Revision 3 of the 2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services is approved and available for use. The below link will take you to the revised manual
2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services Revision  July 1, 2012
April 2012 - Reinstatement of the Rate Escalation for Professional Services Contracts - memo
Effective April 23, 2012, VDOT is reinstating rate escalation for professional services contracts. The below attached memo outlines the new rates for contracts with fixed billable rate and cost plus fixed (net) fee compensation. This memorandum supersedes the one dated August 28, 2009, regarding a suspension of the rate escalation on professional services contracts.
- Upcoming consultant contracts
- Request for proposals
- Shortlisted and selected firms
- Memorandum of Agreement template (MOA) (PDF,141 KB) rev. 10/13
- e-Procurement (eVA)
- State Corporation Commission
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
Division information links
- New 2009 Manual for the Procurement and Management of Professional Services - Revision , July 1, 2012 (PDF, 770 KB)
- SCC guide (PDF)
- Location and Design Division consultant guide for fee proposal
- Structure and Bridge consultant guide for fee proposal
- eVA registration requirement
- VDOT process for securing professional services
- Ban on smoking in state offices and vehicles
- Consultant performance report
- Title VI compliance requirements
- FHWA order 4470.01A (PDF, 398 KB)
- Sample contractor certification (PDF, 10 KB)
- Memo - Suspension of Rate Escalation for Professional Services Contracts (PDF, 30 KB)
- Memo - Regulation Compliance for Professional Services (PDF, 31 KB)