Local Assistance Division
Urban Construction Initiative Overview
The Urban Construction Initiative (also known as the First Cities Initiative) was established as the result of a modification to the Code of Virginia in 2003. Traditionally, cities identified construction projects, which the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) would construct and the locality would then maintain.
Over the past several years, increasing emphasis has been placed on local administration of construction projects. The Urban Construction Initiative moves local administration from the project level to the program level, providing municipalities with the opportunity to manage their entire construction program.
The initiative places greater responsibility and control of the urban construction program in the hands of the local government. However, this includes the responsibility for meeting all federal and state legal and regulatory requirements, and Commonwealth Transportation Board policy.
For questions regarding UCI Program and Policy Requirements please refer to Chapter 5 of the Urban Construction and Maintenance Program Guidance Document (aka Urban Manual). For questions relating to the UCI project development/delivery processes, please please refer to the Locally Administered Projects Manual.
Contact Yolanda Newton at email@example.com or (804) 786-0334
- Project Delivery Options Available (326 KB)
- How to join the Urban Construction Initiative (13 KB)
- Benefits and realities of participation (87 KB)
UCI in the News
- Fiscal Year 2005: Hampton, Richmond (city) and Virginia Beach
- Fiscal Year 2006: Charlottesville
- Fiscal Year 2007: Harrisonburg and Bridgewater
- Fiscal Year 2008: Lynchburg
- Fiscal Year 2009: Blacksburg and Dumfries
- Fiscal Year 2010: Colonial Heights
- Fiscal Year 2011: Newport News
- Fiscal Year 2012: Chesapeake and Purcellville
- Fiscal Year 2013: Danville
- Fiscal Year 2015: Suffolk
Localities that are participating in the VDOT Urban Construction Initiative Program may apply to be certified to deliver projects with streamlined oversight from VDOT.
Certification with streamlined oversight applies to all projects, except for those located on the National Highway System, that have been noted as requiring federal oversight or that have been identified by the commissioner as requiring VDOT oversight.
- Overview (282 KB)
- Presentation (242 KB)
- Guidance document (17 KB)
- Certification from Federal Highway Administration (102 KB)
- Certification letter to localities (33 KB)
- UCI Certification letter of intent (31 KB)
UCI Annual Meetings
- June 26 and 27, 2019
- Aug. 22 and 23, 2018
- May 24 and 25, 2017
- Presentations and Handouts
- Day 1: May 24, 2017
- SMART SCALE
- SMART SCALE Dashboard
- Transportation Performance Management – Whats Next
- UCI Reconciliation – Billing
- Virginia Roads
- Starter Pack and LAP MAP
- Day 2: May 25, 2017
Virginia Department of Transportation
Local Assistance Division
1401 E. Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23219