Local Assistance Division
Locally Administered Projects 'Starter Pack' (Getting Started Guide)
The starter pack was developed to improve local governments' understanding of the requirements associated with administering a transportation project.
The starter pack is coined as a “Beginners Guide to Locally Administered Projects,” and is intended as a getting-started resource for local government project managers and others that may be new or have limited familiarity with the expectations and requirements to administer a transportation project.
The guide briefly outlines the major components, processes and procedures necessary to administer a transportation project, but should NOT be used as a substitute to the comprehensive Locally Administered Projects Manual.
Lap - Map
LAP - MAP is an intelligent flowchart-based navigational tool to guide users through the locality administered project development and delivery processes. LAP-MAP consists of two sections: A project "selector" tool which asks five basic project characteristic questions, conveniently listed in drop-down menus. Based on the users input, the tool will automatically take the user to the applicable project development and delivery process flowchart. The flowchart provides a detailed outline of the necessary steps required for the respective project development and delivery process according to the input provided in the selector tool. The LAP-MAP flowchart shows each step and includes hyperlinks to the appropriate page or form in the LAP Manual. In addition, LAP-Map employs user friendly graphics, hints and reminders to the project manager and also incorporates VDOT’s Project Web Access (PWA) schedule activity numbers. LAP-MAP promises to be a useful tool for both the novice and experienced project manager to assist in project development, delivery, close out and audit.
LAP-Map is NOT to be used as a substitute to the actual Locally Administered Projects (LAP) Manual, but is intended to provide the user a quick resource in locating specific project information/guidance/
Please note that not all of the possible projects combinations are mapped. Nine scenarios are available that represent the most commonly used.
Please click the LAP-MAP icon below to start.
Instruction how to use LAP-MAP
- Click on LAP-MAP icon
- Select open
- This will take you to the LAP-MAP Project Selector (excel file). This is the first section of the LAP-MAP.
- There are five basic questions, which are conveniently listed in a pull-down menu regarding the project characteristics.
- After selecting the appropriate responses from the pull-down menu questions, you will see the name of related project process flow-chart pop up automatically; e.g. “Project Process Type X flow-chart” right below the selection table on right.
- On the left you will see a box “Display Map”.
- Click “Display Map” and this will take you to proper project process flow chart.
- On the top left corner, you will see the project characteristics which you selected. This is a confirmation to ensure you are using the appropriate project flow-chart for your specific project type.
- The LAP-MAP flow chart provides a detailed outline of all necessary steps required for project delivery from the very beginning (RtA/Agreement) to the very end construction completion (LAP C-5) and project closeout.
- LAP-MAP shows each step with a hyper-links to the appropriate page or form in the LAP Manual.
- You may also save the project flow-chart to your computer or network, and if you have Adobe Pro you are able to add your own project specific notes onto the flowchart.
Locally Administered Projects Manual
The purpose of this manual is to provide guidance and direction to all stakeholders, outline federal requirements for those localities choosing to administer Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)-funded projects, with an emphasis on federal aid, and provide guidance to VDOT staff assigned an oversight role for locally administered projects.
The highway laws of Virginia has been recodified, effective Oct. 1, 2014. Section 33.1 has been re-numbered to Section 33.2.
If you have questions, comments, or suggested changes to the Locally Administered Projects Manual, contact Lloyd Arnold at 804-371-4870 or Lloyd.Arnold@vdot.virginia.gov , or Cynthia Clark at 804-371-6289 or Cynthia.Clark@vdot.virginia.gov.
The Parts I-III "comprehensive" version is currently under construction and will return soon. In the interim, please utilize the individual chapter versions listed below.
Click the PDF icons in the table below to access the individual manual chapters.
- March 2021 Proposed Update Summary
- February 2020 Update Summary
- September 2019 Update Summary
- December 2018 update summary
- February 2018 update summary
- December 2017 update summary