Location and Design Division
L&D Home • Business Administration • CADD Support • Hydraulics and Utilities
MS-4/Stormwater Management • Project Management Office • Roadway Design and Special Projects
Standards, Special Design, Policy and Quality Assurance • Survey and Photogrammetry • Traffic Design
The Statewide Location and Design Team is responsible for the planning, development and delivery of quality engineered highway construction plans found in the Department’s Six Year Improvement Program. Our statewide staff is organized into 9 construction districts which are responsible for project management and design as well as a Central Office staff responsible for the development, implementation and training of policies, procedures, technical guidance as well as design and project management.
Our team of highway engineering professionals includes experts in the fields of roadway geometric design, hydraulics and river mechanics, stormwater management/MS4, survey and photogrammetry, traffic engineering design, landscape architecture, project management, CADD support, safety hardware, engineered standards, policies and procedures, general business and consultant contract administration.
- VDOT Junction Screening Tool (VJuST) and associated documents have been added to the Innovative Intersection/Interchange web page - September 13, 2017
- Public Meeting Brochures added to the Innovative Intersection/Interchange web page - September 12, 2017
- The 2018 cut-off dates for advertisement are updated and 2030 dates added (Tier 1 & 2) - September 12, 2017
- IIM-LD-256 (Virginia Stormwater Management Program) – September 5, 2017
IIM256 is a new IIM that outlines the policy for VDOT regulated land disturbing projects covered under the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Construction Activities.
- A revision to the 2016 Road & Bridge Standards has been made - September 5, 2017
The August 2017 revision to the 2016 Road and Bridge Standards contains updates to sections 100, 200, and 1300 along with a memorandum with clarifications for the MASH guardrail requirements.
- Upcoming Courses to “Erosion and Sediment Control Contractors Certification (ESCCC) classes through Construction Trade organizations September 2017
- OpenBridge Modeler Classes Open To Consultants 9/2017 - 11/2017 - September 1, 2017
- CADD Training Classes Available 9/2017 - 11/2017 - September 1, 2017
- LD-453 Nutrient Credit Purchase form revised - August 31, 2017
The revised LD-453 form now provides an up-to-date statewide Nutrient Credit Bank map with HUC service areas. Additionally, page two of this form identifies new bank names and prices for purchasing.
- Erosion and Sediment Control Contractor Certification (ESCCC) - August 25, 2017
- Updated Certification List
- VDOT Training Manuals and Datasets Available for Download - August 18, 2017
(Hydraulics/Drainage, MicroStation and GEOPAK/OpenRoads (OpenRoads Civil Cell training added 8/18/17), Structure and Bridge, Survey GEOPAK and Traffic Engineering)
- IIM-LD-249.6 (2-Tiered Approach to Project Oversight) – Rev. August 14, 2017
- NEW 2017 Guardrail Installation Training GRIT Manual "New MASH Standards and Policy have been added” -
August 9, 2017
- LD-406NP Form Revised “A note was added to certify smart scale projects” – July 31, 2017
- LD-406 - Certification of Plan Correctness Updated (A note has been added to certify Smart Scale Projects) - July 26, 2017
- SHED2-Plan Reviewer - July 18, 2017
New Review and Approval Requirements of ESC and SWM Plans on VDOT Projects as explained in the State Hydraulics Engineer Directive SHED2-Plan Reviewer
- Calculation & Computation Forms (zip file, 80 kb) - July 18, 2017
Voided Hydraulics LD-Forms available in an electronic and fillable form to use with your Calculations and Computations