Location and Design Division
The River Mechanics Engineering Section within the Hydraulics and Utility Program Area is responsible for supporting the design process, by providing critical information to the Roadway and Bridge Design Teams, with regards to large culverts or bridges over state waterways. Guidance includes the impacts that the proposed projects will have on the predicted flood elevation and potential bridge scour. The Central Office Staff supports the Districts with technical guidance, trouble shooting and establishing policies and procedures, as applicable, to large scale hydraulics analyses.
John Matthews, P.E.
Assistant State Hydraulics Engineer
VDOT - Location & Design Division
1401 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
River Mechanics, Floodplain Assessments, IACM
Abiot Gemechu, P.E.
Information You Can Use
- District Hydraulic Engineers
- District River Mechanics Engineers
- Drainage Manual
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center
- FHWA Hydraulic Engineering
- Instructional & Information Memoranda
- US ACOE Hydrologic Engineering Center
- USGS Real Time Water Data