Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD
2011 Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD (Revision 1)
The Virginia Supplement to the 2009 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) contains the most current standards, guidance, options, and support for the design, application, and placement of traffic control devices (including signs, signals, and pavement markings) on roadways in Virginia.
The PDF version of Revision 1 is the most current edition. The links in the list below are PDF's .
Interim Sec 2B.59 revisions (bridge weight limit signs)
The Virginia Supplement is a companion document to the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) 2009 MUTCD (latest revision.)
The Virginia Supplement was developed from a combination of existing VDOT directives and new guidelines generated from statewide technical committees after a thorough review of the 2009 MUTCD.
In December 2011, the 2009 MUTCD and the 2011 Virginia Supplement were approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB).
The effective date was Jan.1, 2012, with the exception of projects advertised for bids before Jan. 15, 2012.
In September 2013, Revision 1 to the 2011 Virginia Supplement was approved. Revision 1 became effective Sept. 30, 2013, for daily operations.
Revision 1 became effective Jan. 1, 2014, for projects bid on or after Jan. 1, 2014.
Part 6 of the 2009 MUTCD (Temporary Traffic Control) is entirely replaced by the 2011 Virginia Work Area Protection Manual (WAPM), which is published as a separate document.
The WAPM was adopted as part of the Virginia Supplement and constitutes Part 6 of it.
There are no Virginia-specific changes to Part 5 of the 2009 MUTCD (Traffic Control Devices for Low-Volume Roads).
- The Supplement documents any deviation from the MUTCD, addresses Virginia-specific regulations / guidance, and assists designers and practitioners in the application of Virginia’s standards.
- Committees of subject matter experts and practitioners were established to develop the specific standards and guidance.
- The Supplement has incorporated existing standards, guidelines and practices.
- Similar to the MUTCD, the Virginia Supplement is a living document that is expected to be updated periodically when regulations change to incorporate improved guidance and to provide flexibility and options.
- Because the Supplement is available free from this web page, printed copies are not available.
- The Virginia Supplement and Work Area Protection Manual have both been reviewed by FHWA and found to be in substantial conformance with the 2009 MUTCD.
Interim Approvals (IAs)
This list details the Interim Approvals (IAs) VDOT has requested and FHWA has approved since the issuance of the 2009 MUTCD.
Some IAs are approved on behalf of both VDOT and other agencies that maintain roads within Virginia, while other IAs are approved only for VDOT.
If an IA is approved only for VDOT, localities maintaining their own roads must separately request and receive IA approval from FHWA before installing such devices.
As a condition of all IAs, VDOT has agreed to:
- Abide by the specific conditions of each IA as per FHWA’s Interim Approval website.
- Maintain a list of all locations where the devices have been installed. VDOT's operational regions are responsible for maintaining the list of locations of IA devices, including devices installed by localities that maintain their own roads.
- Modify or remove a device if FHWA chooses to require such action in conjunction with issuance of a Final Rule, or if FHWA terminates the Interim Approval due to safety concerns.
Virginia Standard Highway Signs (VSHS) Book (Revision 1)
The Virginia Standard Highway Signs (VSHS) book is to be used as a supplement to the national FHWA SHS Book.
The VSHS book aids designers and fabricators of Virginia-specific signs for both permanent and temporary traffic control applications.
This document contains sign design details, along with layouts of many Virginia-specific signs, referenced within the Virginia Supplement and the WAPM.
The most current edition of the VSHS book, Revision 1, issued in March 2015, is at Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book, Revision 1 (PDF, 4 MB)
Changes to initial edition of the Virginia Supplement
The initial 2011 edition of the Supplement is here: http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/TED/final_MUTCD/Virginia_Supplement_Full_Document.pdf.
This edition was approved by the CTB in December 2011. Note: This is not the latest edition of the Supplement. Refer above for the most current edition.
The Supplement Revision 1 technical change file lists all of the changes issued with Revision 1. PDF of the Virginia Supplement with tracked changes
The initial edition of the Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book, issued at the same time as the initial edition of the Supplement, is here: Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book .
Submit questions regarding the Virginia Supplement to VDOT's Traffic Engineering Division at: VASupplement@VDOT.Virginia.gov.