Traffic Engineering: Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD
2011 Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD (Revision 1)
The Virginia Supplement to the 2009 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) contains the most current standards, guidance, options, and support for the design, application, and placement of Traffic Control Devices (including signs, signals, and pavement markings) on roadways in Virginia.
The PDF version of Revision 1 is the most current edition of the official VDOT publication. Click on the PDF symbol for each section below.
The Virginia Supplement is a companion document to the 2009 MUTCD (latest revision), prepared by the Federal Highway Administration.
The Virginia Supplement was developed from a combination of existing VDOT directives and new guidelines generated from statewide technical committees after a thorough review of the 2009 MUTCD.
In December 2011 the 2009 MUTCD and the 2011 Virginia Supplement were approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB). The effective date was Jan. 1, 2012, with the exception of projects advertised for bids before Jan. 15, 2012. In April 2011, designers were directed to follow the 2009 MUTCD and 2011 Virginia Supplement on projects in design for bid advertisement on or after January 15, 2012.
In September 2013 Revision 1 to the 2011 Virginia Supplement was approved. Revision 1 became effective Sept. 30, 2013, for daily operations. Revision 1 became effective Jan. 1, 2014 for projects bid on or after Jan. 1, 2014.
Part 6 of the 2009 MUTCD (Temporary Traffic Control) is entirely replaced by the 2011 Virginia Work Area Protection Manual (WAPM), which has been published as a separate document for the convenience of the users. The WAPM was adopted as part of the Virginia Supplement and constitutes Part 6 of the Supplement. The 2011 WAPM is effective on and after Jan. 1, 2012, for VDOT crews, new maintenance projects, new traffic control devices, sign manufacturing, and renewal contracts. The 2011 WAPM is also effective for all construction projects advertised on and after Jan. 1, 2012.
There are no Virginia-specific changes to Part 5 of the 2009 MUTCD (Traffic Control Devices for Low-Volume Roads).
Here are some facts about the Virginia Supplement:
- The Supplement documents any deviation from the MUTCD, addresses Virginia-specific regulations/guidance, and assists designers and practitioners in the application of Virginia’s standards.
- Committees of subject matter experts and practitioners were established to develop the specific standards and guidance.
- The Supplement has incorporated existing standards, guidelines and practices.
- Similar to the MUTCD, the Virginia Supplement is a living document that is expected to be updated periodically, when regulations change, to incorporate improved guidance and to provide flexibility and options.
- Because the Supplement is available free from this website as a download, printed copies are no longer available.
- The Virginia Supplement and Work Area Protection Manual have both been reviewed by FHWA and found to be in substantial conformance with the 2009 MUTCD.
Interim Approvals (IAs)
This list details the Interim Approvals (IAs) that VDOT has requested and FHWA has approved since the issuance of the 2009 MUTCD. Some IAs are approved on behalf of both VDOT and other agencies that maintain roads within Virginia, while other IAs are approved only for VDOT. If the IA is approved only for VDOT, then localities that maintain their own roads must separately request and receive IA approval from FHWA before installing such devices on their roads.
As a condition of all IAs, VDOT has agreed with FHWA to abide by the following:
- Abide by the specific conditions of each IA as per FHWA’s Interim Approval website
- Maintain a list of all locations where the devices have been installed. VDOT Regions are responsible for maintaining the list of locations for IA devices, including devices installed by localities that maintain their own roads.
- Agree to modify or remove the device if FHWA chooses to require such action in conjunction with issuance of a Final Rule or if FHWA terminates the Interim Approval due to safety concerns.
Virginia Standard Highway Signs (VSHS) Book (Revision 1)
The Virginia Standard Highway Signs (VSHS) Book is to be used as a supplement to the national FHWA SHS Book. The VSHS Book aids designers and fabricators of Virginia-specific signs, for both permanent and temporary traffic control applications. This document contains sign design details, along with layouts of many Virginia-specific signs referenced within the Virginia Supplement and the WAPM.
The most current edition of the VSHS book is Revision 1, issued in March 2015, is available at:
Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book, Revision 1 (PDF, 4 MB)
Changes to Initial Edition of the Virginia Supplement
The initial edition of the Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD, 2011 edition, is available here: http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/TED/final_MUTCD/Virginia_Supplement_Full_Document.pdf. This edition was formally approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board in December 2011. Please note: this is not the latest edition of the Virginia Supplement. Refer to the top of this page for the most current edition.
The initial edition of the Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book, issued at the same time as the 2011 initial edition of the Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD, is available here:Virginia Standard Highway Signs Book .
A list of frequently asked questions, along with answers, can be found here(PDF).
Please submit questions regarding the Virginia Supplement of the MUTCD to VDOT Traffic Engineering at: VASupplement@VDOT.Virginia.gov.