Core Development Program: Engineering Associates
The Core Developmental Program (CDP) is designed to build capable, innovative and experienced individuals with the know-how and skills to transition into a vital role at VDOT. In the Core Development Program, associates cross train throughout VDOT gaining engineering knowledge and a well-rounded view of VDOT. CDP associates experience the diverse types of work VDOT performs through hands-on job assignments and the opportunity to work closely with a diverse group of professionals. In addition, the program focuses on developing the technical and leadership competencies that will sustain VDOT now and into the future.
Participants in this program will:
- Rotate through VDOT various locations;
- Become a well-rounded engineer;
- Increase practical experience while in a full time job;
- Gain an invaluable view of how all the areas of VDOT work together;
- Network with other professionals across the agency; and
Benefit from a professional engineer mentor.
Successful associates must be motivated, customer focused, innovative, and action-oriented individuals with a drive for achieving results, and managing projects effectively. Demonstrated ability in making quality and timely decisions; taking initiative; communicating effectively, both orally and in writing; prioritizing and organizing multiple demands in a continuously changing environment; and meeting established deadlines are also required. Successful associates must also have the ability to anticipate problems, provides solutions, follow instructions, learn quickly, and collaborate with teammates.
As an Associate, you will cross-train through several of VDOT’s core functions within the department. Listed below are the locations our participants rotate through.
Structural and Bridge Design
The Structure and Bridge Division offers an opportunity for designers (engineers) to put sound engineering principles to work in a dynamic environment of evolving specifications and materials.
You will work in the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) design and inspection programs for bridges and other highway-related structures, while using the latest technologies.
Location and Roadway Design
The Location and Design team delivers roadway plan assemblies in accordance with the Six-Year Improvement Program.
Our team of professionals include experts in:
- Highway engineering
- Roadway geometric design
- Hydraulics and river mechanics
- Survey and photogrammetry
- Project management
- Consultant services and administration
- Traffic engineering design
- Computer-assisted design
- Safety hardware, and the development
- Interpretation of standards, policies and procedures
The Materials Division provides engineering services through technical leadership and training in building and maintaining a safe and efficient transportation system. It assesses highway construction materials and the application of innovative engineering.
The division is organized into a Central Office and nine district offices and is broken into two major areas: Preliminary Engineering and Quality Assurance.
Associates are exposed to laboratory testing and field performance for highway construction materials such as concrete, steel, aggregate, soils, and asphalt.
Transportation and Mobility Planning
Transportation planning provides the framework for the development of a safe and efficient transportation system.
Central to this is forecasting the multimodal mobility needs of people and freight, and predicting future system deficiencies.
- The goals of transportation planning are to:
- Increase access to the transportation system
- Improve traveler safety
- Support economic growth
- Maintain efficient management of the existing infrastructure
- Minimize environmental and community impacts
Associates are exposed to:
- Regional and local planning processes
- Project development and programming processes
- The Long Range Plan development process
Associates might be involved in planning for transportation alternatives such as transit, high-occupancy vehicle facilities, and bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
- Federal and state regulations and policies governing transportation planning
- Land development
- Environmental issues, including air quality, water quality, wetlands, and environmental justice Back to top
VDOT's Environmental Division has expertise in a broad range of areas including:
- Acoustical modeling
- Wildlife management
- Environmental science
- Environmental planning
- Wetland science
- Public administration
- Natural and cultural resources
The division's major function is to ensure regulatory compliance and to promote environmental conservation, protection and enhancement in transportation.
Associates gain experience in regulatory clearances, environmental conservation, protection and enhancement.
Construction management is a multi-level system. It manages people, equipment, materials, money and time in a centralized system of planning field work to meet the goals of schedule, cost and quality.
Associates will work with engineers and management, learning engineering principles and gaining extensive experience in various projects of varying complexity.
The mission of the Project Management Office (PMO) is to continuously improve the commonwealth's transportation system by incorporating best business practices and tools, aligned with the agency's organizational goals.
The focus of the PMO is on people, processes and tools.
The PMO is committed to supporting project managers by:
- Defining agency project management policy and procedures
- Implementing project management tools and techniques
- Ensuring relevant project management training that facilitates a disciplined approach in a standardized project management environment
- Work on a smaller design/no plan projects
- Perform quality assurance and quality control checks to gain a thorough understanding of plan development
- Assist with development of schedules and budgets
- Learn techniques to monitor schedules and budgets
- Become familiar the VDOT project management process
Pamela Koger McElwain
VDOT's Pipeline Programs 804-786-3875
Growing the people who "Keep Virginia Moving"