Engineer Scholarship Program
The Civil Engineering Scholarship Program (CESP) provides civil engineering students the opportunity to gain valuable, real-world work experience, earn money over the summer and receive stipends to assist with educational expenses.
Scholars at orientation, June 2016, Richmond, Virginia.
Why This Program?
CESP provides participants with a $3,500 stipend for the fall and spring semesters. Stipends are issued based on continued program eligibility.
CESP participants spend summers working in a challenging and interesting VDOT position. These are paid positions providing real-world work experience in a variety of disciplines throughout Virginia.
- Hampton Roads
- Northern Virginia
- Central Office in downtown Richmond
Visit VDOT district offices for more information.
Students work directly with professional engineers to ensure their experience contributes to their studies, career goals and developmental needs.
In addition, participants get the opportunity to network with other CESP participants.
This allows them to learn from each other about the diverse needs of the organization.
Requirements to apply:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Maintain residency in Virginia or attend an accredited civil engineering school in the commonwealth.
- As of May 2019, be a rising junior (third year) or senior (fourth year) doing undergraduate study in an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology Inc-accredited four-year college or university.
- Must need at least two semesters of coursework before graduation. Graduation date must be on or after May 2020.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale or 3.0 or above on a 6.0 scale.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Declare and pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering or civil engineering technology.
- Agree to begin his or her civil engineering career with the Virginia Department of Transportation following graduation.
Email questions or comments to PipelinePrograms@vdot.virginia.gov.