The Internship Program focuses on introducing students to the importance of public service and transportation.
Internships gives students real work experience in business, engineering, environmental and other functional areas in the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
Learning focuses on technical and leadership skills needed for the individual and potentially for VDOT.
Why This Program?
Participants spend summers working in a challenging and interesting VDOT position.
This is a paid position that provides real-world work experience in a variety of disciplines throughout Virginia.
Our organization includes offices in:
- Hampton Roads
- Northern Virginia
- and the Central Office in downtown Richmond.
Visit VDOT district offices for more.
Students work directly with a program manager to ensure their experience contributes to their studies, career goals and developmental needs.
In addition, participants network with others in the program. This allows them to learn from each other about the diverse needs of the organization.
Requirements to apply
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- Be at least age 18
- In the current year, be a rising sophomore (second), junior (third) or senior (fourth) year student doing undergraduate study in a two- or four-year accredited college or university
- Graduate students must be enrolled in a degreed program in an accredited college or university
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale, or 3.0 or above on a 6.0 scale.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and nine credit hours per semester for graduate students.
Email questions or comments to PipelinePrograms@vdot.virginia.gov