Brenda Waters (276) 669-9999
Michelle Earl 276-669-9901
Dec. 5, 2007
Road conditions improve in southwestern Virginia (Wednesday, December 5 at 3 p.m.)
- Scattered snow and ice patches remain on Interstate 81 in Smyth and Wythe counties. I-81 in Washington County is clear.
- Interstate 77 is clear.
- Snow and ice patches are reported on the majority of secondary routes in Wythe, Grayson, Dickenson and Wise counties. All primary roads in these areas are clear.
- Gravel secondary routes in Buchanan and Russell counties have snow and ice patches. All other routes in these areas are clear.
- Be alert to snow and ice patches on secondary routes in the Marion and Sugar Grove areas of Smyth County. All primary routes in Smyth County are clear.
- All primary and secondary routes in Washington County are clear, with the exception of secondary routes in the Konnarock area.
- All routes in Tazewell, Bland, Lee and Scott counties are clear.
With snow in tonight’s forecast, use caution when traveling and if possible postpone any unnecessary travel.
Before beginning your trip, know the current road conditions and weather forecast. For statewide highway information 24-hours-a-day call 5-1-1, a free service of the Virginia Department of Transportation. Out of state callers can access 5-1-1 in Virginia by calling 1-800-578-4111 or visit 511Virginia.org. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.