Michelle Earl 276-669-9999
Nov. 6, 2008
Interstate 77 tunnel rehabilitation project completed on time, within budget
“Much gratitude is owed to motorists who endured delays or altered their route during the project,” Jim Givens, VDOT Bristol District Administrator, said. “We also appreciate the efforts made by transport companies to detour around the tunnels when wide load restrictions were in place.”
Ft. Chiswell Construction Corp., Bluefield, Va., served as contractor for the tunnel rehabilitation project and Rummel, Klepper, & Kahl, LLP, Richmond, provided project inspection services.
“VDOT’s contractor and project inspection team worked diligently to meet work schedules and made great efforts to avoid lane closures during high traffic volume times such as holidays and special events,” Givens said.
The following major repairs were accomplished between May 2006 and November 2008:
Big Walker Mountain Tunnel & East River Mountain
- Cleaned all tunnel drainage systems.
- Removed and replaced asbestos fire extinguisher cabinets with stainless steel cabinets.
- Removed and replaced damaged wall tiles on over 2,300 square feet of space inside the tubes.
- Addressed tunnel leaks.
- Removed and replaced the roadway curb tip throughout the tunnels.
- Installed a new barrier wall throughout the tunnel.
- Removed and replaced old handrail with new stainless steel handrail.
- Repaired sections of concrete on the tunnel walls and sidewalk.
- Inspected and removed deteriorated concrete from ventilation duct openings and expansion joints.
Big Walker Mountain Tunnel only
- Replaced a section of the tunnel ceiling damaged due to a vehicle fire.
- Improved and repaired drainage configuration at select locations. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.