Michelle Earl 276-669-9999
March 13, 2013
Highway projects valued at $44 million awarded for southwestern Virginia
RICHMOND – The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) recently awarded 13 contracts valued at approximately $44 million for the Bristol District. The Bristol District consists of 12 counties in southwestern Virginia: Washington, Smyth, Lee, Scott, Russell, Buchanan, Tazewell, Bland, Wise, Dickenson, Grayson, and Wythe.
A $10.5 million contract was awarded to Vecellio & Grogan, Inc., Beckley, W.Va., to reconstruct a section of Route 83 (Lover’s Gap) in Buchanan County.
To speed up the reconstruction project, VDOT will close a portion of Route 83 for approximately three months, beginning when school dismisses for the summer. The closure will be from .2 mile west of Route 718 to .8 mile east of Route 718 in Buchanan County.
Multiple contracts valued at $28.3 million were awarded to W-L Construction and Paving, Inc., Chilhowie for paving at various locations in VDOT’s 12-county Bristol district.
W-L Construction and Paving, Inc. also received two additional highway contracts:
- A $1.9 million contract to pave shoulders and add rumble strips to Route 23 in Wise County from Route 692 (Scott Robinson Hollow Road) to 7.14 mile north of Route 692.
- A $868,991 contract to perform shoulder improvements at various locations in the Bristol District.
Lastly, the following bridge projects were awarded:
- Crossroads Bridge, Inc., Marion, was awarded an approximate $1.1 million contract to replace the deck of the Route 11 bridge located over I-81 Exit 32 in Washington County. Be alert to the possibility of periodic lane closures on the interstate due to bridge repairs above the interstate.
- A $517,883 contract was awarded to Ken Construction, Inc., Lebanon, to replace a portion of the Route 637 (Cochran Road) bridge over the Clinch River in Tazewell County. The bridge will be restricted to one 9-foot-wide lane and controlled by signals during the bridge repairs.
- Elk Knob, Inc., Pennington Gap, was awarded a $446,802 contract to replace the deck of the Route 606 bridge over Stone Creek in Lee County.
- A $199,978 contract was awarded to Estes Bros. Construction, Inc., Jonesville, to replace a section of the Route 660 bridge over Hardy Creek in Lee County.
For more information on the meeting and other CTB actions, visit http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings.asp. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.