Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
May 2, 2018
Design Public Hearing scheduled for Route 460/121 Intersection in Buchanan County
Thursday, May 17 2018, from 5-7 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School in Grundy
The design public hearing will be held Thursday, May 17 from 5-7 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School, 27382 Riverside Drive, Grundy, Virginia 24614.
The purpose of the meeting is to give citizens an opportunity to review the proposed plans to build the 0.57-mile segment of Corridor Q: Route 460/Route 121 to rough grade.
The project travels from the east end of the Route 460 Connector Phase II section, which is currently being constructed to rough grade, to the Route 460/121 Hawks Nest section, which is constructed to rough grade.
VDOT encourages all interested citizens to attend the information meeting. To give citizens more flexibility in their participation, there will be no formal presentation. Instead, citizens will be able to review plans with VDOT representatives at their convenience anytime between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Also, citizens will have an opportunity to record verbal comments for the official record anytime during the meeting.
Written comments will be accepted during the meeting or may be submitted to VDOT by May 27, 2018. Mail comments to Mrs. Laura Beth Hale, Project manager, 414 East Main Street, Lebanon, VA 24266, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference “Route 460/121 Intersection” in the email subject line.
For additional information, or if you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, please call the VDOT’s Route 460/121 (Corridor Q) office in Lebanon at (276) 889-7676 or device for hearing impaired (TTY) at 711.
Information meeting documents are also accessible from VDOT’s website: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/bristol/corridor_q_route_460-route_121_intersection.asp
Corridor Q: Route 460/121 intersection is part of federally designated Corridor Q, part of the Appalachian Development Highway System which travels through Kentucky and Virginia. The remaining five construction segments of Corridor Q in Buchanan County are on new locations.
Corridor Q stretches eastward from the Virginia/Kentucky state line to Christiansburg, a distance of 127.5 miles. Approximately thirteen miles of Corridor Q in Virginia remain uncompleted:
- Route 460 Connector Phase II: 6.2 miles under construction to rough grade.
- Route 460/121 Intersection (0.57 miles): fully funded to completion. The design/build contract for rough grade construction was signed with Bizzack Construction, LLC in November 2017, and is currently in the design phase. There will be another contract for paving negotiated upon completion of the rough grade construction.
- Hawks Nest segment of Corridor Q/Route 121 (2 miles): completed to rough grade.
- Corridor Q Overlap Routes 460/121 Poplar Creek Section A (2.9 miles): fully funded to completion; design/build contract for rough grade construction and paving was signed with Bizzack Construction July 2016; provides at grade connection with Route 604.
- Corridor Q Overlap Routes 460/121 Poplar Creek Section B (1.6 miles): currently unfunded; scope includes two lane roadway with climbing lane as needed with bridge over Levisa Fork; connects with current US Route 460 at Grundy to complete Corridor Q.Route 460 Connector Phase I has been completed and will open to traffic when Kentucky’s adjacent Route 460 project is completed, which is anticipated for late 2018. The Phase I project included construction of the tallest bridge in Virginia (250 feet high).
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.