Lou Hatter 540-829-7537
Feb. 11, 2009
SPEED LIMIT LOWERED ON ROUTE 605 IN FAUQUIER COUNTY
35 mph limit will enhance safety for workers during road improvement project
CULPEPER – Motorists on Route 605 (Dumfries Road) in Fauquier County will need to slow down as they approach the road construction project at the intersection of Route 674 (Grays Mill Road). The speed limit will be lowered to 35 miles per hour through the work zone, effective Thursday, Feb. 12. The current speed limit on Route 605 is 45 mph.
Route 605 is being improved in the area of its intersection with Route 674 with the addition of turn lanes to increase safety for vehicles and improve the efficiency of traffic movement through the intersection. Motorists should expect to see construction workers and equipment working in and around the travel lanes during the project, which is scheduled for completion in the late fall. The $3.1 million project is being built by R.L. Rider and Company.
VDOT offers the following tips for motorists to increase safety as they navigate highway work zones:
- Stay alert. Expect anything to occur when entering a work zone. Pay close attention. Signs and work zone flaggers save lives.
- Turn on your headlights. Workers and other motorists must see you.
- Don't tailgate. Unexpected stops frequently occur in work zones.
- Don't speed. Note the speed limits in and around the work zone. Enhanced fines of up to $500 may be levied for speeding in a work zone.
- Follow the signs. Orange signs with black lettering should alert you on the approach to a work zone. Expect changes in traffic patterns as the project progresses.
- Keep up with traffic flow. Dedicate your full attention to the road and those traveling around you. Don't change lanes in the work zone. The time saved just isn't worth it.
- Minimize distractions. Avoid changing radio stations and using mobile phones in the work zone.
- Expect the unexpected. Keep an eye out for workers and their equipment.
- Be patient. Remember, the construction or maintenance crewmembers are working to improve your future ride.
- Call 511. Receive up-to-the-minute traffic and weather information from any telephone in Virginia. Before you travel, log on to www.511Virginia.org for road and traffic conditions and weather updates.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.