Lou Hatter 434-422-9866
April 21, 2011
TRANSPORTATION BOARD RELEASES DRAFT SIX-YEAR PROGRAM
Governor’s legislative package will advance Culpeper District projects
CULPEPER ― The Commonwealth Transportation Board yesterday released a draft six-year improvement program which includes funding for projects in Governor Bob McDonnell’s historic transportation package.
The 2012-2017 Six-Year Improvement Program update includes more than 900 projects recommended for funding through the governor’s transportation legislation adopted by the 2011 General Assembly and signed into law earlier this week. The draft SYIP will be presented to the public during a series of hearings in April and May and is available online.
Residents of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Culpeper District will have an opportunity to comment on the proposed program at a public hearing on May 18 at VDOT’s Central Office Auditorium, 1221 East Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219. The meeting begins at 6 p.m.
In the nine counties of VDOT’s Culpeper District, the draft plan would advance the following projects toward construction:
- Interstate 64 interchange improvement, Louisa County – Improvements to the Route 15 interchange at Zion Crossroads will address increasing congestion and projected increases in traffic volume.
- Route 3 four-lane improvements, Culpeper County – Add two additional lanes on a 4.9-mile segment of Route 3 to complete the improvement of Route 3 to a four-lane divided highway.
- Route 29 at Route 666, Culpeper County – The SYIP update adds additional funding for right of way acquisition toward construction of an interchange to replace the current at-grade intersection.
- Route 229, town of Culpeper – This project will add two additional lanes to the current two-lane road and connect the four-lane segment of Route 229 just north of the town limits.
- Secondary system improvements – The SYIP update also provides additional funding for improvements on the secondary system, including:
Rappahannock County, Route 729, replacement of the bridge over Battle Run
Fauquier County, Route 651, replacement of the bridge over Sumerduck Run
Fauquier County, Route 655, replacement of the bridge over Tinpot Run
Madison County, Route 614, intersection improvements at Route 706
Following public hearings around the state, the CTB will vote on approval of the 2012-2017 update of the Six-Year Improvement Program on June 15 for the 2012 fiscal year that begins July 1.
The following links are provided for additional information:
Governor McDonnell’s announcement of the Six-Year Improvement Program draft update
2012-1017 draft Six-Year Improvement Program database
Culpeper District draft SYIP (PDF format)
Schedule of public hearings on draft SYIP
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.