Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Jan. 27, 2009
Area road conditions improve
Road Condition Update - noon
FREDERICKSBURG — Area road conditions have improved since earlier this morning. While a mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain continues to fall, the interstate, primary and major secondary routes are reported as primarily wet with some slick spots. Crews will continue to apply salt and abrasives to maintain the wet pavement and provide traction to slippery pavement. Motorists are encouraged to continue to reduce their speed and use extreme caution when traveling especially at bridges, overpasses and ramps. VDOT strives to clear all state maintained roads within 48 hours after a winter weather event.
Before traveling visit http://www.511virginia.org/RoadConditions.aspx?j=All&r=1 for road condition updates.
VDOT urges motorists to observe the following winter driving tips:
· Make sure your vehicle is winter ready.
· Keep an emergency driving kit in your car and wear your seatbelt.
· Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
· Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
· When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly. Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
For real time travel information call 511 or visit www.511virginia.org. For winter preparedness information, visit: www.virginiadot.org/news/snowseason.asp
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.