Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Dec. 22, 2009
CREWS MAKE SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS IN SUBDIVISIONS
(Plowed roads may refreeze tonight - travel with caution)
FREDERICSKSBURG — Crews have made significant progress on area roads today.
Most secondary routes and subdivision streets have been plowed, however, there are still roads in the area that remain snow and ice packed but they are passable.
Crews in the Fredericksburg area, which includes, Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George and Caroline will continue to work around the clock through tomorrow in subdivisions and on secondary routes with motor graders and front end loaders to remove the thick layer of snow and ice that has formed on the road. However, crews will continue to work in these areas until all roads are clear.
Roads that have been plowed may refreeze and become slick as temperatures drop overnight. Motorists should use extreme caution when traveling tonight and during the early morning hours.
• Check road conditions before they leave home by calling 511 or logging in to 511Virginia.org
• Slow down and allow for extra time to reach your destination
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges
• Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road
• Do not pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.