Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Dec. 22, 2009
MORNING COMMUTERS WILL FIND MAIN ROADS CLEAR
(Crews continue to plow in subdivisions)
FREDERICSKSBURG — When commuters head out this morning they will find the intersate, primary and major secondary routes clear with some icy spots. Most secondary roads are in moderate condition to severe condition.
Crews have worked overnight on the secondary routes and in subdivisions to push off as much snow as possible, however, many roads remain snow and ice packed but they are passable. Motorists should use extreme caution. VDOT crews will continue to work throughout the day in these areas.
• Check road conditions before they leave home by calling 511 or logging in to 511Virginia.org
• Slow down and allow for extra time to reach your destination
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges
• Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road
• Do not pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary
Road Condition Defintions
Closed – Roadway is closed; impassable
Severe – Significant accumulations of snow or ice blocking the roadway; conditions are hazardous
Moderate – Snow or ice covering a major portion of the roadway; passable with caution
Minor – Advisory, potential for icy patches or snow on roadway; passable with caution
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.