LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
(540) 656-0321 Cell
April 21, 2011
STATE TRANSPORTATION BOARD RELEASES DRAFT SIX-YEAR PROGRAM
Proposed program would widen U.S. 17 in Stafford, build overpass at Fall Hill Avenue over I-95 in Fredericksburg
FREDERICKSBURG – Dozens of transportation projects in the 14-county Fredericksburg District would be advanced in the draft Six-Year Improvement Program for fiscal years 2012-2017.
Virginia’s draft Six-Year Improvement Program, which funds highway, rail, transit, bicycle and pedestrian projects, was released to the public on Wednesday. It is posted online at www.virginiadot.org. Public hearings on the draft Six-Year Improvement Program for FY 2012-2017 are being held statewide in April and May. The Commonwealth Transportation Board will vote on the proposed plan at its monthly meeting on June 15.
For the Fredericksburg District, a public hearing on the draft Six-Year Improvement Program will be held at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 18 in the VDOT Central Office Auditorium, 1221 E. Broad Street, Richmond.
The Fredericksburg District includes Spotsylvania and Stafford in the west, and stretches east along the entire Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula.
Among the Fredericksburg District Projects Advanced in the Draft FY 2012-2017 Program:
• Fall Hill Avenue Overpass at Interstate 95 – To replace the overpass bridging Interstate 95 at Fall Hill Avenue in Fredericksburg
• U.S. 17 widening in Stafford – The widening of U.S. 17 from four to six lanes from McLane Drive to Stafford Lakes Parkway.
• Commuter Parking in Fredericksburg Region – As many as 3,000 new commuter parking spaces would be added in the Fredericksburg region. Parking would be expanded at an existing VDOT commuter lot on Staffordboro Boulevard in Stafford.
Preliminary engineering work will begin to add parking at a VDOT commuter lot at Gordon Road in Spotsylvania, and preliminary work will begin on a new parking facility at a planned VRE train station in Spotsylvania.
• Interstate 95 Interchange at Courthouse Road (Exit 140) in Stafford – Preliminary engineering and right-of-way acquisition is funded to relocate this I-95 interchange in Stafford.
• 17 Bridge Projects - Reconstruction and renovation of 17 bridges throughout the Fredericksburg District.
• Traffic Signal Optimization - Traffic signal optimization on U.S. 17 in Gloucester and U.S. 1 in Fredericksburg between Stafford and Spotsylvania.
• Public Transit - $10 million in grants, operating and capital assistance funding for Fredericksburg District transit agencies, including FREDericksburg Regional Transit, GWRideConnect, Bay Aging, and the Rappahannock Area Agency on Aging. This funding is included in the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation draft Six-Year Improvement Program for FY 2012-2017.
Public comments on the program may also be submitted by mail or e-mail until May 27, 2011:
Public Information Office
Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation
600 E. Main St., Suite 2102
Richmond, VA 23219
Virginia Department of Transportation
1401 E. Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23219
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.