Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
April 1, 2013
ROUTE 633 BRIDGE TO CLOSE IN CAROLINE
VDOT is accelerating replacement of the Bull Church Road bridge at South River
FREDERICKSBURG —The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close a bridge on Route 633 (Bull Church Road) at South River in Caroline County until a new bridge can open in fall 2014.
The bridge will close to traffic on Thursday, April 4.
A scheduled annual inspection of the bridge found deterioration in the bridge’s steel beams, necessitating a closure. The bridge had previously been posted at a 3-ton weight limit, and had been reduced to a single travel lane to limit vehicle traffic.
This bridge replacement has been in the Six-Year Improvement Program since 2010, when preliminary engineering and design work began. VDOT has advanced replacement of the bridge 5 months, and will advertise the project for construction in September 2013.
The bridge replacement, estimated to cost $1.3 million, will take approximately one year to complete.
Traffic will be detoured onto Cedon Road and Ladysmith Road while the bridge is closed, and a replacement is under construction.
A map showing the detour routes is available online: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Fredericksburg/Meeting_Displays_South_River.pdf
The Route 633 bridge was built in 1935. The bridge is 55.1 feet long and 20 feet wide. It carries an average of 330 vehicles a day.
Additional information about VDOT’s bridge inspection program and individual bridge conditions are posted online at www.virginiaDOT.org.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.