Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
Aug. 28, 2014
CHANGES COMING TO STAFFORDBORO BOULEVARD PARK & RIDE LOT
Current lot will close after the evening rush hour on Friday, Sept. 5 for paving, lane marking improvements
FREDERICKSBURG – Traffic will be transitioned to a new parking section in the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride lot in Stafford County beginning Monday, Sept. 8.
New parking spaces will open as the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) closes the existing Park & Ride lot for refurbishment.
This is the final stage in an 18-month construction project to add nearly 1,000 spaces to the lot. Work is anticipated to finish on time with all parking spaces open by late October 2014.
“We encourage motorists to arrive a few minutes early on Monday, Sept. 8 to meet their carpool, vanpool or bus, or to use the new HOV carpooling pickup area,” said Michael Coffey, P.E., VDOT Assistant District Administrator for Construction, Fredericksburg District. “We appreciate the public’s patience while we finish this final phase of construction. We look forward to opening the entire lot in October with new pavement, bright lane markings, and more than 1,800 parking spaces.”
VDOT has posted a map online of the new parking section and traffic patterns that will be in place during the transition period.
What Lot Users Need to Know
• The existing Park & Ride lot will close at 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5.
• The existing lot will remain closed until the end of the project. VDOT is paving the lot and painting new lane markings.
• There is no net loss of parking spaces. Before this phase of construction, 882 parking spaces were available, and 912 spaces will be available on Monday, Sept. 8.
• HOV carpooling (also known as slugging) will move to a designated area in the new section of the lot. Signs will be posted to direct users to this pickup area.
• Buses should collect passengers at the new bus bay area, and follow the recommended traffic patterns to enter and exit the lot.
• The number of handicapped accessible parking spaces will double to 28 spaces.
About the Project
Construction began in May 2013 on a $12.9 million expansion of the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride facility, which is maintained by VDOT.
When fully open in October, the finished lot will have 1,865 parking spaces.
While the project was under design, VDOT invited Fredericksburg area commuters to submit suggestions to promote safe and orderly traffic flow. The expanded commuter lot will include:
• A consolidated, central location for carpool pickup and dropoff
• A bus pickup and dropoff bay that can accommodate 4 passenger buses
• An extended sidewalk along Staffordboro Boulevard
• Left and right turn lanes into a new lot entrance on Staffordboro Boulevard
• A roundabout that connects the commuter lot to Doc Stone Road, Juggins Road and Moncure Lane, improving access management to the site.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.