Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
June 5, 2014
I-95 TRAVEL TIMES TO BE POSTED IN THE FREDERICKSBURG AREA
Real-time information will be displayed on electronic message signs starting Friday, June 6
FREDERICKSBURG –The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will post approximate travel times for Interstate 95 in the Fredericksburg area on overhead message signs starting Friday, June 6, giving motorists a preview of traffic conditions on the road ahead.
VDOT uses real-time traffic data gathered from Inrix and multiple technologies to show the approximate length of time to drive between two points along I-95.
For each travel time message, VDOT will post the distance in miles between the sign and the destination shown on the sign. The message will show the amount of time in minutes it took a motorist to travel between the two points. The message signs will be refreshed every five minutes.
Motorists will see messages posted on eight locations on I-95 in the Fredericksburg area, four northbound and four southbound.
Northbound I-95 travel times will be posted:
- Mile marker 100 (Between exit 98/Doswell and exit 104/Ruther Glen) will display the travel time to exit 126, Spotsylvania County
- Mile marker 122 (Massaponax Church Road, Spotsylvania) will display the travel time to Route 630 (Courthouse Road), Stafford County
- Mile marker 129 (One mile south of exit 130/Route 3) will display the travel time to exit 148, Quantico Marine Corps Base, Stafford
- Mile marker 134 (One mile north of Route 17, Stafford) will display the travel time to Route 234, Dumfries/Manassas
Southbound I-95 travel times will be posted:
- Mile marker 145 (Two miles north of Route 610, Stafford) will display the travel time to Route 3 at Fredericksburg, exit 130
- Mile marker 137 (One mile north of exit 136/Centreport Parkway) will display the travel time to exit 118/Thornburg at Route 606, Spotsylvania
- Mile marker 129 (One mile south of exit 130/Route 3) will display the travel time to Ladysmith Safety Rest Area, Caroline County
- Mile marker 122 (Massaponax Church Road, Spotsylvania) will display the travel time to Route 54 at Ashland, Hanover County
Additional new message locations, outside of the Fredericksburg area:
- Interstate 95 northbound, mile marker 165 (Pohick Road) will change the travel time destination to Woodrow Wilson Bridge, using Interstate 495
- Interstate 395 northbound, mile marker 1.6 (Edsall Road) will display the travel time to the Washington, D.C., line
- Prince William County Parkway, approaching I-95 entrance will display the travel time to I-495, using I-95
Travel times will be displayed 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, and weekends from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In the event of an incident or work zone, VDOT may temporarily suspend the travel time messages to display a higher priority message.
Travel times can change rapidly due to a crash, work zone, or additional traffic entering the interstate between the start and end point for a specific distance. Motorists are encouraged to use 511Virginia to learn more about road conditions in real-time.
Travel time messages posted on each sign can also be viewed through www.511Virginia.org or the 511Virginia free mobile app.
VDOT has deployed travel time messaging along Interstate 66, Interstate 395, and I-95 in northern Virginia, and on multiple interstates in Richmond and Hampton Roads.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.