Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
April 17, 2015
NEW BRIDGE OPENS ON ROUTE 633 (BULL CHURCH ROAD) IN CAROLINE
Project replaced structurally deficient bridge; Road re-opened to through traffic
FREDERICKSBURG — Construction work was completed this week on a new bridge on Route 633 (Bull Church Road) over South River in Caroline County, and the road was re-opened to through traffic.
The new bridge replaces a structurally deficient bridge that was built in 1935.
The new bridge increased the width of the travel lanes from 7.5 feet to 9 feet, and maintained a 2 foot shoulder width. New guardrail was added in the vicinity of the bridge. Pavement improvements were made on the bridge approaches.
Approximately 332 vehicles a day cross the bridge, with traffic expected to increase to an average of 600 vehicles a day by 2023.
Bull Church Road was closed at the bridge in April 2013 after an inspection found deterioration in the bridge’s steel beams. Prior to closure, the previous bridge had a 3-ton weight limit, and had been reduced to a single travel lane to limit vehicle traffic. Traffic was detoured onto Cedon Road and Ladysmith Road while the bridge was closed.
Construction on the bridge replacement project began in spring 2014. A $1.1 million construction contract was awarded to J. Sanders Construction Company of West Point, Va. The total project cost is an estimated $2 million.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.