Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
July 13, 2015
TRAFFIC SHIFT SCHEDULED FOR JULY 20 AT GORDON ROAD PARK & RIDE
New parking spaces will open while the western half of the current lot closes for improvements
FREDERICKSBURG – New parking spaces will open on or around Monday, July 20 in the Route 627 (Gordon Road) Park & Ride lot in Spotsylvania County.
On the same day, a portion of the existing commuter lot will close for an estimated six weeks for refurbishment.
Lot users can view a map online of the new parking spaces and traffic patterns that will be in place during the transition period.
Construction work to add nearly 500 parking spaces to the Park & Ride lot is progressing. With a portion of the new parking spaces opening, work will focus on refurbishing the existing lot.
What Lot Users Need to Know
• Nearly 350 new parking spaces will open on or around Monday, July 20 in an expanded section of the lot.
• On the same day, approximately 300 spaces will close for 6 weeks in the western half of the existing lot.
• VDOT is re-paving the existing lot, painting new lane markings, installing new lighting and building a bus lane.
• The Gordon Road entrance to the lot and the access road linking the parking areas will remain open during peak commuting hours. Brief closures will be needed during off-peak hours to finish construction in the lot. Any entrance or access road closure will be communicated in advance.
• The Spotsylvania Farmers Market will remain open during all phases of construction. Market customers should park in the new parking area and walk to the market area.
• On Friday evenings, vanpool drivers should park in the new parking area, as far to the north as possible. This will allow space for the Spotsylvania Farmers Market to operate, and for customers to have parking available close to the market.
About the Project
Construction to expand the Park & Ride commuter lot on Gordon Road began in fall 2014 and will be completed by December 2015. The parking lot is located at the intersection of Route 3 and Gordon Road.
In addition to 500 new parking spaces, other improvements will include:
• A dedicated slugging pickup and dropoff line
• A centralized area for buses
• A second entrance to the lot from Harrison Road, in addition to the existing Gordon Road entrance
• A pedestrian sidewalk connecting the lot with surrounding commercial development
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.