VDOT News - Fredericksburg
Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Nov. 5, 2018
EMERGENCY REPAIR EFFORT CONTINUES ON ROADS DAMAGED BY TROPICAL STORM MICHAEL
Nine roads in the Fredericksburg area, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula will require long-term repair work before they can be safely reopened to traffic
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. ⸺ Long-term repair work is underway to rebuild state-maintained roads that sustained severe damage during Tropical Storm Michael in the Fredericksburg area, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula.
More than 100 state-maintained roads have been reopened in VDOT’s Fredericksburg District following Tropical Storm Michael, but nine roads remain closed. These roads require major reconstruction or replacement of pipes and culverts before they can safely be reopened. Emergency procurement methods are being used to expedite repairs.
Construction schedules have been developed for the nine remaining closed roads in Fredericksburg District:
King and Queen County
- Route 631 (Bunker Hill Road): Anticipated to reopen on Nov. 21. Crews are replacing a triple line of 36-inch drainage pipes.
- Route 631 (Smithfield Road): Anticipated to reopen on Dec. 16. Crews are repairing a void underneath the road’s drainage pipes and travel surface.
King William County
- Route 662 (Sharon Road): Anticipated to reopen on Jan. 21, 2019. Crews will repair a slope near the road and a drainage culvert.
- Route 201 (Courthouse Road): Anticipated to reopen on Feb. 28, 2019. Crews will be replacing a damaged set of four 96-inch drainage pipes with a triple set of concrete box culverts, with each culvert measuring 12 feet by 10 feet. The culverts must be fabricated to these specific dimensions, which lengthens the repair schedule.
- Route 634 (Spring Road): Anticipated to reopen on Aug. 1, 2019. Crews are repairing the bridge and replaced a washed out section of road.
- Route 642 (Knights Run Road): Anticipated to reopen on Feb. 28, 2019. Crews will be replacing two 60-inch drainage pipes with two 72-inch reinforced concrete drainage pipes, and installing pipe headwalls.
- Route 1350 (Hamlin Drive): Anticipated to reopen on Jan. 31, 2019. Crews are repairing a void underneath the travel surface and replacing a damaged 72-inch corrugated metal drainage pipe with a 6 foot by 6 foot concrete box culvert.
- Route 600 (Nomini Grove Road): Anticipated to reopen on Aug. 1, 2019. Crews are repairing a void underneath the road and replacing a washed out section of road.
- Route 612 (Antioch Road): Anticipated to reopen on Aug. 1, 2019. Crews are repairing a void underneath the road and replacing a washed out section of road.
Motorists are reminded to adhere to all road closed signs and barricades, and to follow the posted detour route. Roads have been closed for traveler safety.
Travelers can check 511Virginia for real-time road closure information, which will be updated as crews make progress.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.