VDOT News - Fredericksburg
Darragh Frye 540-899-4119
June 26, 2018
NEW SCHEDULE FOR FULL I-95 TRAFFIC STOPS AT THORNBURG IN SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY
Tomorrow’s lane closures on I-95 northbound canceled, rescheduled for Thursday, June 28 and I-95 southbound will be on Monday, July 9
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Due to the potential of inclement weather and the upcoming Fourth of July holiday, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is rescheduling the full traffic stops on Interstate 95 at Exit 118/Thornburg in Spotsylvania County.
Full traffic stops are required to allow crews to install bridge forms and deck overhangs for the new Mudd Tavern Road overpass of I-95.
Northbound I-95 traffic will be stopped overnight on Thursday, June 28, and southbound I-95 traffic will be stopped on Monday, July 9.
I-95 travelers are encouraged to use Route 1 or Route 301 to avoid delays overnight.
During the traffic stops, interstate traffic will be detoured to the Exit 118 off-ramp, directed across Mudd Tavern Road and guided back to the interstate.
Weather permitting, lane closures have been rescheduled at the following dates and times:
Thursday, June 28
- Double lane closure begins at9:30 p.m.
- Betweenmidnight and 5 a.m., all I-95 northbound traffic will be detoured to take the Exit 118/Thornburg off-ramp, directed across Mudd Tavern Road and back to the on-ramp.
- All lanes re-open to traffic by5 a.m.
- All lanes of I-95 southbound remain open on this evening.
Monday, July 9
- Double lane closure begins at 9:30 p.m.
- Between midnight and 5 a.m., all I-95 southbound traffic will be detoured to take the Exit 118/Thornburg off-ramp, directed across Mudd Tavern Road and back to the on-ramp.
- All lanes re-open to traffic by 5 a.m.
- All lanes of I-95 northbound remain open on this evening.
Message boards on I-95 and Route 1 will alert drivers to the work zone and possible delays.
Local drivers should anticipate alternating, one-way traffic and flagging operations on Mudd Tavern Road during both evenings.
Virginia State Police will be assisting with traffic control in the work zone.
Motorists can find real-time information on lane closures, work zones, traffic and other incidents on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.