VDOT News - Fredericksburg
|IMMEDIATE - 3:45 p.m.
Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Feb. 28, 2019
FREDERICKSBURG DISTRICT: WINTRY MIX MAY AFFECT FRIDAY MORNING TRAVEL
VDOT crews will work overnight to patrol Interstate 95 and roads in the Fredericksburg area and western Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula for potentially slick conditions
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – A wintry mix of rain, snow and sleet could affect road conditions in portions of the Fredericksburg District on Friday morning.
Motorists should prepare to use additional caution during the morning rush hour travel period on Friday. Road conditions may be more severe north and west of the Fredericksburg region due to weather conditions in those areas.
Travelers are advised to check 511Virginia to see road conditions along their planned route before starting a trip.
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews will mobilize ahead of the forecasted weather this evening along Interstate 95, across the Fredericksburg area, and in the western portions of the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula. If icy or hazardous road conditions develop, crews will apply sand to provide additional traction for motorists, and salt to reduce icing.
What Residents Should Know
- Motorists should monitor news and weather reports, and plan to adjust travel based on road conditions in their area.
- If travel is essential, plan to wear your seat belt, allow extra travel time and reduce your vehicle speed.
- Increase following distance between vehicles, and increase braking distance.
Motorists can download the free mobile 511 app for Apple and Android devices to see real-time road conditions across Virginia, or reach 511Virginia by visiting www.511virginia.org or calling 511 from any phone in Virginia.
Additional VDOT Information Sources
- Find VDOT Fredericksburg District news releases online on VDOT’s website, VirginiaDOT.org, under “Newsroom.”
- Follow VDOT on Twitter @VaDOT and @VaDOTFRED
- Connect with us on Facebook on our VDOT page, and VDOT Fredericksburg District group page.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.