VDOT News - Fredericksburg
|IMMEDIATE - 4:45 a.m.
Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Jan. 15, 2019
FREDERICKSBURG DISTRICT: ROAD CONDITIONS MAY BE ICY THIS MORNING
VDOT crews remain on duty to treat for any slick or hazardous road conditions from overnight refreezing in the Fredericksburg area, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Motorists are advised to use caution this morning by allowing extra travel time, reducing vehicle speed and increasing following distance as icy road conditions are possible in the Fredericksburg area, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula.
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews remained on duty overnight and are working this morning to patrol roads for hazardous conditions, and to treat road surfaces with sand and salt as needed to improve traction and reduce icing.
Interstate 95 is clear this morning, and VDOT Park & Ride commuter lots have been treated. Primary and high-volume secondary roads are in clear to minor condition across the district. Main routes in minor condition may have isolated areas of snow or slush remaining.
Lower-volume secondary roads and subdivision streets in the Fredericksburg area and Northern Neck remain in minor condition, with isolated icy patches.
Motorists should use additional caution on bridges, overpasses and ramps. Ice will form more quickly on these surfaces because air can circulate above and below the surface of the road, causing the temperature to drop more rapidly. Ice may also be more likely to form in shaded areas, and along hills and curves.
What Residents Should Know
- Clean snow and ice from your vehicle before starting a trip. This will improve your visibility of the road ahead, and it will prevent snow and ice from becoming a flying debris hazard for other travelers.
- Remember to move over and slow down for stopped vehicles with flashing, blinking or alternating blue, red or amber lights.
- Be alert for tree debris in the roadway as snow weighs down trees and tree limbs. Report any downed trees or other hazards in the road to VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623).
Check 511Virginia for real-time road conditions statewide.
VDOT Customer Service Center
VDOT’s Customer Service Center is open 24 hours a day to answer questions and take reports of roadway hazards at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) and online at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Additional VDOT Information Sources
- Find VDOT Fredericksburg District news releases online on VDOT’s website, www.VirginiaDOT.org, under “Newsroom.”
- Follow VDOT on Twitter @VaDOT and @VaDOTFRED
- Connect with us on Facebook on our VDOT page, and VDOT Fredericksburg District group page.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.