VDOT News - Fredericksburg
|IMMEDIATE - 4:30 p.m.
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
Feb. 20, 2019
FREDERICKSBURG DISTRICT:EXPECT WET PAVEMENT WITH ISOLATED SLICK SPOTS OVERNIGHT AND DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS
Motorists urged to use caution if driving during the overnight and early morning hours
FREDERICKSBURG – Pavement conditions have improved throughout the 14-county Fredericksburg District. Conditions on Interstate 95, primary and secondary routes range from wet to minor conditions with some isolated slick spots.
Tonight temperatures are expected to hover near or below freezing, creating the potential for isolated slick spots on roadways especially on bridges, overpasses, ramps, turn lanes and low- volume secondary routes. Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews will monitor road conditions overnight and during the early morning hours, treating slick spots with salt, sand and abrasives, as needed.
Motorists are urged to use caution if traveling tonight or during the early morning hours tomorrow. Wet pavement and freezing temperatures could create hazardous road conditions.
What Residents Should Know:
- Wet pavement and temperatures forecasted to hover near or below freezing could create hazardous road conditions.
- Icy conditions occur first on bridges, overpasses, ramps and shaded areas. Drivers should be alert and use caution on roads that appear wet, as a thin layer of ice may have formed. Slick road conditions are possible, especially on low-volume secondary routes, hills, curves and in neighborhoods.
- Crews will monitor road conditions and treat roadways with salt, sand and abrasives, as needed overnight and tomorrow morning.
Additional VDOT Information Sources
- Before leaving home, call 511 or visit 511Virginia.org for road conditions anywhere in Virginia.
- Find VDOT Fredericksburg District news releases online on VDOT’s website, www.VirginiaDOT.org, under “Newsroom.”
- Follow VDOT on Twitter @VaDOT and @VaDOTFRED
- Connect with us on Facebook on our VDOT page, and VDOT Fredericksburg District group page.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.