VDOT News - Fredericksburg
Darragh Frye 540-899-4119
April 25, 2019
WORK BEGINS NEXT WEEK ON SPOTSWOOD FURNACE LANE IN SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY
Crews will hard surface the gravel portion of the roadway near River Road
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Beginning Monday, April 29, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close a portion of Route 629 (Spotswood Furnace Lane) in Spotsylvania County to hard surface the roadway as part of the Rural Rustic Road program.
Spotswood Furnace Lane near River Road will be closed for at least one week.
Crews will work Monday through Friday between 6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. At this time, there is no weekend or nighttime work planned.
This project is being administered and constructed with state forces, along with the assistance of hired equipment. It’s being funded through a joint project between VDOT’s Rural Rustic Road program and Spotsylvania County.
The Rural Road Rustic program is VDOT’s preferred approach to paving unpaved roads.
For a road to qualify for rural rustic road treatment, several criteria must be met:
- The county’s board of supervisors must pass a resolution declaring the road to be a “rural rustic road.”
- The board of supervisors indicates that expected growth and increase in traffic over the next 10 years is minimal.
- The curves along the road should be generally adequate for the traffic and any increase in speeds expected after the improvement.
- Roadway drainage must be sufficient or require only minor improvements.
- The daily traffic volume must not exceed 1,500 vehicles.
- The citizens along the road should support the improvement.
Motorists can find real-time information on lane closures, work zones, traffic and other incidents on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.