VDOT News - Hampton Roads
Lauren Hansen 757-925-1660
May 31, 2013
PUBLIC INPUT SOUGHT ON VIRGINIA’S DRAFT SIX-YEAR IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
Hampton Roads Public Hearing Scheduled for June 5
HAMPTON ROADS – The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) has scheduled a public hearing in Hampton Roads to solicit public comments about the state’s working draft of the Fiscal Years 2014-2019 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP). In addition, the tentative list of projects selected by the CTB for Transportation Alternatives Program funding will be available.
Some of the new projects suggested in the draft SYIP for the Hampton Roads District include the following:
• $120 million for new interstate pavement and resurfacing projects in Norfolk & Virginia Beach beginning next year.
• $100 million in new funds to make capacity improvements and reduce congestion on Interstate 64 in Newport News and James City County.
• $6.7 million in new funds to add 4.2 miles of additional capacity to Otterdam Road in Greensville County.
• $5 million to conduct an environmental study on adding traffic lanes to Interstate 64 between Interstate 464 and Interstate 664 in Chesapeake, including the replacement of the I-64 High Rise Bridge, built in 1969.
• $4.6 million in new funds to replace three bridges in Sussex County over the Blackwater River.
The public hearing for Virginia Department of Transportation’s Hampton Roads District will be held beginning at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, June 5, at the Chesapeake Conference Center, 900 Greenbrier Circle, Chesapeake, VA 23320. This is one of four public hearings held across the state each year to solicit public comments about rail, transit, transportation demand management, bicycle, pedestrian and highway projects. Public comments will be considered before the CTB adopts a final program in June. The FY 2014-2019 SYIP will go into effect July 1, 2013.
Members of the public that cannot attend the hearing but wish to submit a comment can do so via mail or email. For VDOT projects, the mailing address is Programming Director, Virginia Department of Transportation, 1401 East Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219 or email email@example.com. For DRPT projects, the mailing address is Public Information Office, VA Department of Rail and Public Transportation, 600 East Main Street, Suite 2102, Richmond, VA 23219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All projects in the SYIP that are eligible for federal funding will be included in the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program, which documents how Virginia will obligate its share of federal funds. Each year the SYIP is updated to reflect the latest projected revenues and transportation priorities.
The draft six-year program is online at http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/syp-default.asp.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.