Jennifer Gwaltney 757-925-2583
Feb. 15, 2016
Crews Continue to Work to Improve Roadway Conditions
Motorists advised to use caution if they must travel
SUFFOLK- As light snow continues to fall throughout Hampton Roads, crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) worked overnight and are out again today to clear and treat the roadways.
Most interstates and primary roads are in minor to moderate conditions and snow and ice removal operations will continue as long as conditions exist. Motorists are urged to delay travel as slick conditions could develop quickly, even on treated roads.
If travel is absolutely necessary:
- Know conditions before getting on the road – go to 511virginia.org, download the free VDOT 511 mobile app or call 5-1-1.
- Allow extra time to reach destinations, lower speed and keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Watch out for black ice, especially near bridges, overpasses, ramps and shaded areas.
- Slow down and allow slow-moving equipment crews, such as snow plow operators, the right of way.
- Call 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) to report road hazards or ask questions or report problems at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Check out VDOT’s winter travel info for additional snow removal facts.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.