Tiffany Whitfield 757-925-1516
Feb. 15, 2016
CREWS HAVE CLEARED INTERSTATES FOCUS REMAINS ON SECONDARY ROADWAY CONDITIONS
Motorists should be on the lookout for slick spots
SUFFOLK- A wintry mix of snow and sleet has stopped throughout Hampton Roads. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will monitor and clear secondary roadways.
Secondary roadways are in minor to moderate conditions; snow and ice removal operations will continue. Motorists are urged to delay travel as slick conditions could develop quickly, even on treated roads.
If travel is necessary:
- Know conditions before getting on the road – go to 511virginia.org, download the free VDOT 511 mobile app or call 5-1-1.
- Allow extra time to reach destinations, lower speed and keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Watch out for black ice, especially near bridges, overpasses, ramps and shaded areas.
- Slow down and allow slow-moving equipment crews, such as snow plow operators, the right of way.
- Call 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) to report road hazards or ask questions or report problems at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Check out VDOT’s winter travel info for additional snow removal facts.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.