VDOT News - Hampton Roads
Nina Napolitano 757-956-3031
Sept. 11, 2018
VDOT PREPARED TO ASSIST TRAVELERS AHEAD OF HURRICANE FLORENCE
SUFFOLK– The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is assessing travel needs and making preparations to assist motorists ahead of Hurricane Florence. Safety remains VDOT’s top priority as we work to facilitate those under mandatory evacuation in Hampton Roads, the Eastern Shore and points south:
- All HOV restrictions have been lifted on Hampton Roads interstates until further notice.
- The 64 Express Lanes, between the I-64/I-264 Interchange and I-564, are open to westbound traffic and will remain open to westbound traffic until further notice. HOV and E-ZPass requirements have been lifted in the system.
- Lane closures on I-64/I-664 have been suspended. The suspension will remain in place until VDOT determines that the critical need has passed.
- The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry will suspend service between Surry County and the Peninsula beginning 10 a.m. Wednesday.
- There will be no lane reversal of the eastbound lanes on Interstate 64 on the Peninsula.
- VDOT has no plans to close any of its water crossings at this time. VDOT closes bridges, ramps or roads only when there is imminent danger to public safety, such as high water, structural damage or downed trees and debris blocking the roadway. The agency will communicate any plans to close a bridge or tunnel through local news outlets, 511Virginia and its own social media channels: Twitter, Facebook and Nextdoor.
- Residents are reminded to report damaged roads to VDOT by contacting the VDOT Customer Service Center hereor by calling 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623).
- Statewide and local traffic conditions are available by calling 511, visiting 511virginia.orgor downloading the mobile app at the 511 website.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.