Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Dec. 16, 2008
FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT IN AREA
Winter Weather Advisory canceled
LYNCHBURG – A freezing rain advisory is in effect for Amherst County in the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) until 6:00 a.m. on Wednesday. The previous winter weather advisory has been canceled.
Rain may become mixed with sleet and freezing rain this evening. While little accumulation is expected, a light coating of ice could occur on elevated surfaces, in the deeper valleys and in other areas.
- VDOT reminds motorists of a few simple steps they can take to stay safe this winter:
- Check your vehicle to be sure it is running properly before winter driving season.
- Always buckle your seat belts.
- Drive slowly and increase your following distance between you and the car ahead of you. Adjust your speed for the conditions.
- Do not pass a snow plow unless you absolutely have to, and give plows room to do their work.
- Know the road conditions before you leave home. For the latest on road condition and traffic during winter storms, visit
Editor’s Note: Various VDOT snow plow photographs, audio clips, video and fact sheets are available at http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/snowseason.asp.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.