Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Dec. 31, 2008
WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT IN AREA
Route 130 in Amherst County currently blocked by downed tree
Currently, Route 130 (Elon Road) in Amherst County is blocked due to a downed tree. With the possibility of significant winds, motorists should be aware of the possibility of more debris in roadways.
In addition, the long-range forecast is calling for rain/snow showers in many areas on Friday, January 2 and a light wintry mix on Tuesday, January 6.
VDOT reminds motorists of a few simple steps they can take to stay safe this winter:
- Check your vehicle to be sure it is running properly before winter driving season.
- Always buckle your seat belts.
- Drive slowly and increase your following distance between you and the car ahead of you. Adjust your speed for the conditions.
- Do not pass a snow plow unless you absolutely have to, and give plows room to do their work.
- Know the road conditions before you leave home. For the latest on road condition and traffic during winter storms, visit www.511virginia.org.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.