Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Aug. 31, 2009
MOTORISTS MAY EXPECT DELAYS DURING BRIDGE INSPECTIONS
· 9/17 Route 657 over Harris Creek near Monroe
· 9/17 Route 635 over Pedlar River at Pedlar Mills
· 9/17 Route 674 over Piney River at Nelson County line
· 9/23 Route 622 over Route 29 Bypass
· 9/22 Route 460 over Route 29 at Lynchburg Airport exit
· 9/9 Route 903 over NS Railway, south of Gretna
· 9/9 Route 29 North over NS Railway, north of Chatham
· 9/9 Route 665 over NS Railway, north of Chatham
· 9/10 Route 40 over NS Railway at Gretna
· 9/10 Route 40 over Frying Plan Creek, west of Gretna
· 9/10 Route 924 over Sycamore Creek at Hurt
· 9/21 Route 29 over Route 29 near Hurt
· 9/21 Route 760 over Route 29 near Gretna
VDOT inspects all its bridges at least once every two years unless there are issues with a structure due to age, deterioration, bridge damage or other known concerns. In these cases, more frequent inspections are conducted. Routine bridge inspections continue to ensure that all 20,823 Virginia bridges remain safe for motorists. When bridge inspectors find any safety concerns, bridges are immediately posted to reduce weight limits or closed until necessary repairs are made.
Motorists are urged to use caution when traveling through these are any highway work zones. For additional information about work zones statewide, visit www.511Virginia.org or call 511.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.