Jan. 30, 2010
LYNCHBURG DISTRICT ROAD CONDITION UPDATE
LYNCHBURG – Snow continues to fall across the state and the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is experiencing heavy snow with gusty wind as of 8:30 a.m. The Lynchburg District consists of the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward.
Snow is covering major portions of the primary routes, like Routes 29, 58, 460 and 501 and many secondary routes throughout the district. Some secondary routes in Buckingham and Prince Edward counties have significant accumulations of snow and conditions are difficult.
VDOT crews are plowing snow and applying abrasives; however, the task is being made difficult, if not impossible, by the continuing snowfall and wind.
VDOT offers the following tips for driving in winter weather:
- Avoid unnecessary travel. If you must drive, know the current road conditions and weather forecasts. Call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org.
- Make sure your windows, mirrors and lights are clear of ice and snow.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Allow extra time to travel to your destination.
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady spots.
- Reduce speed and keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Do not pass a snowplow unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Keep an emergency winter driving kit in your car, including a small bag of rock salt, sand or cat litter to provide traction in case you get stuck, a snowbrush and ice scraper, a flashlight, battery booster cables, a blanket and extra clothing.
- Practice common sense. Remember that your car cannot start, stop, or turn as quickly and surely on snow or ice as it does on dry pavement, so think and drive accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.