Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
July 12, 2013
ROADS CLOSED THROUGHOUT VDOT’S LYNCHBURG DISTRICT
Flooding and downed trees create hazards for motorists
Approximately 40 roads remain closed in the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) as a result of heavy rain throughout the overnight and early morning hours.
The following roads are closed due to washouts and are expected to remain closed until further notice:
- Route 633 in Buckingham County is closed from Route 60 to Route 631
- Route 695 in Charlotte County is closed from Route 727 to Route 617;
- Route 600 in Cumberland County is closed from Farmville to Route 712;
- Route 697 in Halifax County is closed from Route 696 to Route 779
- Route 677 in Pittsylvania County is closed between Route 640 and Route 667,
- Route 636 in Prince Edward County is closed between Route 460 and Route 740 and repairs are currently underway. The road is expected to open again this afternoon. .
More rain is expected this evening and over the weekend in parts of the state. Additional closures are possible. Motorists should be alert to changing conditions, avoid travel during inclement weather and never drive through standing water. Remember: Turn around, don’t drown.
The Lynchburg District includes the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.