Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
March 4, 2014
LYNCHBURG DISTRICT: MAJOR ROADS IN GOOD CONDITION
Icy roads possible this morning
LYNCHBURG – (4 a.m.) While major roads in the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Lynchburg District are mostly clear this morning, motorists should continue to be aware of the possibility of icy patches.
Snow and other precipitation which remained on roads last night refroze as temperatures dropped during the overnight hours. Icy conditions are more significant on secondary roads and neighborhood streets.
Motorists are advised to continue to use caution during the morning hours. In addition, VDOT advises to:
- Know the conditions before you go! Check www.511virginia.org, call 511 and/or check local media.
- Make sure your vehicle is winter ready – be sure to completely clear all windows, lights, and side mirrors before driving.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Allow extra time for travel.
- When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly.
The Lynchburg District consists of the following counties: Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.