Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Feb. 12, 2014
MOTORISTS SHOULD AVOID MT. CROSS ROAD IN PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY
Numerous cars stopped due to conditions
LYNCHBURG – Snowy and icy conditions are creating serious traffic troubles on Mt. Cross Road (Route 750) from the Danville City/Pittsylvania County line to the Route 750/844 intersection and VDOT encourages motorists to avoid the area.
VDOT, once again, offers these winter driving tips:
- If you must travel, know the conditions before you go! Check www.511virginia.org or call 511
- Make sure your vehicle is winter ready – be sure to completely clear all windows, lights, and side mirrors before driving.
- Keep an emergency driving kit in your car.
- Wear your seatbelt and don’t drive distracted.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Allow extra time for travel.
- When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly. Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
- Drive smart and pay attention.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.