VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 3 p.m.
Jan. 12, 2019
Avoid Travel as Weekend Storm Begins
Hazardous road conditions expected tonight; Allow plows room for clearing and treating roads
Drivers are asked to avoid travel as snow has begun to fall and road conditions are expected to deteriorate overnight. Continue to follow weather closely during the storm and through the weekend.
What's Happening Now
- National Weather Service issued a Winter Storm Warning covering VDOT's Northern Virginia District of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties.
- Plow trucks are rolling through the region to plow and treat roads as snow begins to accumulate. Crews first focus on interstates and primary routes, roads with vital emergency and public facilities, then lower-volume routes and neighborhood streets.
- Road conditions are expected to deteriorate through the night with pavement temperatures below freezing.
Info for Drivers and Residents:
- Avoid unnecessary travel during the storm and after until crews can make progress clearing and conditions have improved. Travel will be hazardous as the storm progresses, and road crews and emergency services need room to work.
- Park in driveways or on the same side of the street to allow plows room to pass.
- Continue to monitor weather closely through the weekend, as forecasts can change quickly.
- If you absolutely must drive, know the conditions, drive for the conditions and give plows plenty of room. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit. Remember to move over for VDOT equipment and emergency responders with amber, red or blue lights.
- Follow us on Twitter @vadotnova for updates from the field.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.