VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle T. Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 19, 2019
Overnight Closures and Traffic Stoppages on Route 28 and I-66 the Week of September 22
Closures needed to install new bridge beams
FAIRFAX– Bridge beam installation for new ramps at the Route 28 and I-66 interchange will require nightly closures and traffic stoppages on Route 28 and I-66 during overnight hours Sunday, Sept. 22, through Thursday, Sept. 26. Drivers will be directed to follow signed detours and should expect delays if traveling in this area. Closures are needed to safely install bridge beams over the roadway and exit ramps.
- Single left lane closed at 9 p.m.
- Three left lanes closed by 11 p.m.
- Periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 East from Compton Road to east of Route 28 between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. to lift bridge girders into place.
- Ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North will be closed between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. Drivers will be detoured to the exit for Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) North, then stay to the right to follow signs to I-66 West back to Route 28 North.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
- All closures listed above for Sunday, Sept. 22, through Thursday, Sept. 26, including stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 East between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. and closure of the ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of Route 28 North at I-66 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Drivers on Route 28 North will be routed to I-66 East to the exit for Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) North, then stay to the right to follow signs to I-66 West back to Route 28 North.
- Two lanes closed on Route 28 South from Braddock Road to I-66 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on southbound Route 28 between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.to lift bridge girders into place.
- Closure of the ramp and two left turn lanes from Route 28 South to I-66 East from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Drivers will be detoured south on Route 28 to the Route 29 (Lee Highway) interchange, exit to Route 29 North, then stay right to take Route 28 North to the ramp for I-66 East.
More closures, stoppages, and detours will occur on I-66 and Route 28 in subsequent weeks for additional bridge beam installation. Message boards on I-66 and Route 28 are providing advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
When complete, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project will feature three general purpose and two Express Lanes in each direction from I-495/Capital Beltway to Route 29 in Gainesville. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes are expected to open in December 2022.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.