VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 22, 2019
Traffic Changes Planned For Walney Road At Route 28 Starting On Or About May 1
Walney Road will close between Route 28 and Cabells Mill Road; Drivers will be detoured to Westfields Boulevard
FAIRFAX, Va. - Walney Road will close between Route 28 and Cabells Mill Drive on or about May 1, 2019. Drivers will be temporarily detoured to Westfields Boulevard to access Walney Road from Route 28 through fall 2020. Access to Route 28 North from Walney Road will be permanently directed to Westfields Boulevard. These traffic changes are needed for improvements to the Route 28 and I-66 interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
When work is complete, Walney Road will be reconnected with Braddock Road by a new overpass over Route 28. This overpass will provide direct access to and from both the new I-66 Express Lanes and general purpose lanes, as well as to Route 28 to and from the south. The Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project will also remove the four sets of traffic signals along Route 28 between I-66 and Westfields Boulevard.
Details of upcoming traffic changes:
- Temporary closure of Walney Road between Route 28 and Cabells Mill Road through fall 2020.
- Temporary elimination of the right turn and traffic signal from Route 28 North to Walney Road
- Drivers can access Walney Road from northbound Route 28 by continuing north to the Westfields Boulevard interchange, staying to the right to go east on Westfields Boulevard, then turning right on Walney Road.
- Direct access to Walney Road from northbound Route 28 will be restored in a later phase of construction.
- Permanent elimination of the right turn from Walney Road to Route 28 North.
- Drivers can access Route 28 by taking Walney Road north, then turning left on Westfields Boulevard to the Route 28 interchange.
- Drivers accessing Braddock Road from I-66 and Route 28 North can continue to utilize the left-turn lanes and the existing traffic signal during this phase of construction.
Drivers should expect construction-related detours and additional changes to traffic patterns as work progresses at the Route 28/I-66 interchange and along Route 28. Drivers are reminded to use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs in construction work zones.
Learn more about the project and sign up for project updates and lane closure alerts at Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Walney Road will close between Route 28 and Cabells Mill Drive on or about May 1, 2019. Drivers will be temporarily detoured to Westfields Boulevard to access Walney Road from Route 28. Access to Route 28 North from Walney Road will be permanently directed to Westfields Boulevard.
When complete in December 2022, the reconstructed Route 28/I-66 interchange will provide access to and from the new I-66 Express Lanes as well as general purpose lanes. Braddock Road and Walney Road will be connected by an overpass over Route 28, with direct access to and from I-66 Express Lanes and general purpose lanes as well as Route 28 to and from the south.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.