VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 1, 2019
UPDATE: Nighttime Lane Closures, Traffic Stoppages On I-66 in Centreville Area for Bridge Construction Tonight, Friday, and Saturday
Crews installing beams for new bridge at Bull Run Drive
FAIRFAX - As part of continued work installing bridge beams at Bull Run Drive in Centreville, drivers on I-66 should plan for delays in western Fairfax and eastern Prince William counties during overnight hours tonight through Saturday (August 1-3).
Lanes will be closed and traffic will be stopped intermittently during late night hours so construction crews can erect bridge beams for the new Bull Run Drive overpass. To ensure motorist safety, traffic will be stopped for periods of up to 30 minutes while the beams are lifted into place over I-66.
Bull Run Drive is being re-aligned and the bridge over I-66 reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Thursday, August 1: Eastbound and Westbound I-66 between Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) and Compton Road
- Three right lanes on I-66 West will be closed between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Two left lanes on I-66 East will be closed between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 West between Compton Road and Bull Run to lift bridge girders into place between midnight and 4 a.m.
Friday, August 2, and Saturday, August 3: Eastbound and Westbound I-66 between Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) and Compton Road
- Three right lanes on I-66 West will be closed between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Two left lanes on I-66 East will be closed between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 West between Compton Road and Bull Run to lift bridge girders into place between midnight and 5 a.m.
Additional stoppages are planned for the following week to place bridge beams over I-66 East at Bull Run Drive. After Bull Run Drive bridge beam work is complete, crews will shift to Route 234 Business (Sudley Road), where overnight closures are anticipated to begin the week of August 11. More details will follow on these planned closures next week.
For additional information about the I-66 Outside the Beltway Project, please visit outside.transform66.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @VaDOTNOVA
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.