VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 20, 2019
Vaden Drive Bridge Demolition Planned During Day and Nighttime Hours This Weekend
Traffic Impacts Around I-66 West and Nutley Street Interchange
FAIRFAX – The final span of the Vaden Drive bridge will be demolished during near-continuous work over daytime and nighttime hours this weekend, Nov. 22 to 25. Traffic will be impacted around the I-66 West and Nutley Street Interchange (Exit 66) during the weekend, including closure of the ramp from I-66 West to Country Creek Road and part of the I-66 West collector-distributor road.
What Nearby Residents Should Expect:
- From 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 22, until 5 a.m. Monday, Nov. 25, crews will demolish the bridge deck and remove girders from the remaining bridge span over the I-66 West collector-distributor road. Crews will also demolish the bridge pier.
- Activities will occur during day and nighttime hours throughout the weekend.
- Following this work, crews will demolish the north bridge abutment.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Closures and traffic changes will occur around Nutley Street (Exit 66) and I-66 West from 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 22, through 5 a.m., Monday, Nov. 25.
- The western end of the I-66 West collector-distributor road and the Country Creek Road exit will be closed. Drivers wanting to access Country Creek Road should exit to Nutley Street North, turn left at the Virginia Center Boulevard traffic signal, and continue until the road becomes Country Creek Road.
- The ramps from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South will remain open.
- The ramps from Nutley Street and Virginia Center Boulevard to I-66 West will remain open, however drivers will merge earlier – near the Vienna Metrorail Station – to access I-66 West.
- I-66 West drivers should remain alert for merging traffic.
- Additionally, multiple lane closures will occur each night, with only the far-left lane open between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. (until 4 a.m. on Monday)
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 25.
Work schedules are weather dependent and subject to change. No demolition work is planned over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend (Nov. 28 - Dec. 1).
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
For updates and progress photos, visit www.Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA .
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.